History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael and All Angels

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cosby, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5488 / 52°32'55"N

Longitude: -1.1933 / 1°11'35"W

OS Eastings: 454799

OS Northings: 294859

OS Grid: SP547948

Mapcode National: GBR 8NJ.54B

Mapcode Global: VHCT0.86JD

Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels

Listing Date: 7 October 1957

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361087

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189002

Location: Cosby, Blaby, Leicestershire, LE9

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

Civil Parish: Cosby

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Cosby St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Narborough

Listing Text

COSBY MAIN STREET
SP 59 SW (west side)


4/12 Church of St.
Michael and All
7.10.57 Angels

G.V. II*


Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C15. Restored 1907 by H. Cayley
and in 1909 by J. F. J. Goodacre. South porch 1975. Random
granite rubble and cobbles and dressed stone with ashlar
dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with
clerestorey, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south aisle,
south porch. West tower, C14, 3 stages, has chamfered plinth
with moulded band, 2 string courses, coved eaves with spouts and
crenellated parapet. 2 diagonal western buttresses and single
south eastern buttress, with setoffs. First stage has to west a
restored shouldered doorway with weather-stripped door and above
it, a late C14 double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould.
Second stage has to north and south, a quatrefoil light. Third
stage has on each side a restored cusped double lancet bell
opening with hood moulds and stops. Above these, to north, south
and west, a clock. Set back octagonal spire has 2 tiers of
lucarnes on alternate faces, all with crocketed gables, the lower
tier having double lancets. Above, crocketed finial and
weathercock. Nave has chamfered plinth, moulded string course,
coved eaves, moulded parapet and coped east gable. North side
has 3 rendered brick buttresses and between the western pair, a
C14 buttress, 2 setoffs. To the west, a double chamfered round
headed doorway with re-set zigzag moulding. 3 renewed triple
lancets with Decorated geometrical tracery, hood moulds and mask
stops. The south side has 4 renewed triple lancet clerestorey
windows with hood moulds and mask stops. The south east corner
has an octagonal rood stair turret with pyramidal roof. Gabled
early C20 organ chamber has a double gable stack and a pair of
diagonal buttresses. Flat headed double lancet to north, single
lancet to east. Flat roofed parapeted vestry, C20, has to north
a lancet and to its right a moulded pointed doorway. To east, a
double lancet with continuous hood mould. Chancel east end has a
pair of diagonal buttresses and a sill band. Renewed C14
Decorated lancet with hood mould and above it, a chamfered single
lancet. South side has a single C2O buttress, flanked to left by
a chamfered C13 doorway and beyond, a chamfered flat headed
single light. Above this, and to its left, 2 large slate
memorial tablets, mid C18, and c.1809. To the east, a renewed
cusped ogee double lancet with flat head. 3 bay south aisle has
chamfered plinth and sill band, coved eaves and coped parapet.
East end has a diagonal buttress and a renewed Geometrical triple
lancet with hood mould and mask stops. To its left, a large
slate memorial tablet, mid C19. South side has to east of the
porch, 2 buttresses with setoffs. and a double lancet with Y
tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To the east again, a
restored cusped double lancet. West of the porch, a renewed
cusped double lancet with hood mould. West end has a renewed C15
double lancet with panel tracery, hood mould and mask stops.
Rendered brick south porch has plain pointed doorway and C19 9
panel door. Interior has 2 brick benches and south doorway with
Tudor arched head and remains of hood mould. Tower arch, C13,
double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds with
moulded capitals, and C20 Perpendicular style glazed screen and
doors. South arcade, late C14, 4 bays, has piers with half round
shafts to east and west and thinner round shafts to north and
south running directly into the hood mould. Between the shafts,
a cove and a chamfer. Lozenge shaped bases. Double chamfered
and rebated arches. North side windows have medieval stained
glass fragments in the heads. Low pitched roof has V struts to
principal rafters. South aisle east end has to left a canted
stair enclosure with a4 centred arched plank door. To its left,
a mask corbel. East window has stained glass c.1870, and above
it, a mask stop. South east window has stained glass, 1933, and
central south window has stained glass, C19. Restored roof with
cambered beams with bosses and short wall posts. Chancel has C14
double chamfered and rebated arch with octagonal responds.
Remodelled late C14 traceried screen with round headed central
opening. North side has to east, a square C20 aumbry. East end
has stained glass window, C19, and above it a single lancet with
C20 stained glass. South side has to east a late C13 piscina and
to west a window with C15 stained glass. Panelled barrel vaulted
C19 roof. Fittings, late C19 and early C20, include traceried
oak pulpit, eagle lectern, panelled stalls and desks, plain
benches, 2 arch topped donations boards, 1819. Solid hewn oak
chest, said to be C12. Font with banded round bowl, 1908, on C14
stem with 4 minor shafts. Royal Arms on board, late C18.
Memorials include slate tablet, 1786, urn on corbel, 1888,
enriched marble and slate tablet, 1836, Egyptian style marble and
slate tablet, 1818. 3 late C19 Classical marble and slate
tablets to the Rickards family. Classical tablet, 1854. Stone
wall plaque with bronze war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945.


Listing NGR: SP5479994859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.