History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beaumanor Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Woodhouse, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7361 / 52°44'10"N

Longitude: -1.2049 / 1°12'17"W

OS Eastings: 453779

OS Northings: 315685

OS Grid: SK537156

Mapcode National: GBR 8L6.G5V

Mapcode Global: WHDHX.GHG8

Entry Name: Beaumanor Hall

Listing Date: 21 March 1972

Last Amended: 15 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189193

Location: Woodhouse, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

Civil Parish: Woodhouse

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Woodhouse St Mary-in-the-Elms

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Quorndon

Listing Text

83.
SK 51 NW WOODHOUSE BEAUMANOR PARK
1/137 Beaumanor Hall
(Previously listed as
21.3.72 Beaumanor Park)
GV II*

Mansion of 1842-53.By William Railton for W. Perry Herrick. Red brick
in Jacobean style of highest quality workmanship outside and in. Stone
dressings, plinth, band,frieze and dentilled cornice, and parapet coping.
Carved and pierced stone balustrade panels in part as well as urns between
stone coped Dutch gables. Plain tile roof and tall brick stacks in
clusters of several flues with partly carved stone bases, banding and
tops. 2 storeys and attic of mullion and transom sash windows with stone
surrounds and architraves. Symmetrical entrance front of 3 large gables,
the central projecting slightly. Here a round-arched doorway with rusticated
stone surround. The keystone is the pendant of half-round stone oriel window
above. A 3-light both floors either side and a 5-light with 4-light above
in side gables. A 2-light in attics. 5 stone steps lead up to pair of
richly carved oak doors. Subsidiary range to right of 3½ storeys. Similar
2, 3 and 4-light windows, door and 3 Dutch gables. The avenue front to
left of 5 windows; the central a 2 storey square bay of 5-light below, 4
above with single side lights. A 2-light either side, lower left blocked,
and either end canted 2 storey bays of 4-lights and side lights. Strapwork
stone carving over bays and central gable richly carved with caryatids, volutes,
etc. A gable with 2-light either side and pierced balustrading in between.
Garden front to rear has flight of stone steps with elaborately carved stone
urn either side leading up to central round arched doorway with side lights and
oriel over. The gable to left has a 2-light either side of a 2 storey canted
4-light bay with side lights. Gable to right has similar bay only. Carved
tops to bays and pierced balustrade between gables with 2-lights. Lower subsidiary
range to left of 2 storeys with basement and attic of 2, 3 and 4-light similar
windows and 4 gables. Courtyard front to right of entrance of 3 storeys,
4 8/8 sashes and large mullion and transom window to right and doors. Small interior
court in centre of house with similar windows. Interior: entrance vestibule with
richly carved stone fireplace displaying Herrick arms amidstrapwork overmantle.
Carved oak panelled ceiling, frieze, dado and door and window surrounds. Beyond a
magnificent 2 storey staircase hall with Imperial staircase. Richly carved oak
balustrading continues round gallery on 3 sides. Above an elaborately panelled
ceiling dated 1853 with strapwork and pendants. At the head of first flight of
stairs a large contemporary window of 7 x 3 lights of stained and painted armorial
glass by Warrington of London. Between hall and garden front vestibule a richly
carved stone arch. Facing the avenue and garden fronts a series of reception rooms
with rich strapwork ceilings and friezes, carved oak door and window surrounds,
marble fireplaces, walnut bookcases in one room, carved pelmets in another. Similar
simpler decoration on first floor but here a room, with carved oak fireplace,
strapwork ceiling and stained glass in window, designed for bed thought to be
associated with Richard III. The mansion was the seat of the Herrick family
for 300 years from 1595, the previous building dating from C13 having been
visited by Richard II and home of the Duchess of Suffolk, mother of Lady
Jane Grey. The avenue or S. front closely resembles a drawing of the S.
front as refaced c1615 by Sir William Herrick and it is almost certain that
Railton was 'recreating' this house demolished in 1726. It is his only
complete country house design to remain unaltered. Beaumanor, which is
the estate house for Woodhouse, is an important landmark. Railton also
designed nearby Church of St. Paul, Woodhouse Eaves, (listed separately).
Drinkall P., A Brief History of Beaumanor Hall and Park, Leicester,
1978.Colvin.


Listing NGR: SK5377915685

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.