This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7934 / 52°47'36"N
Longitude: -1.2558 / 1°15'20"W
OS Eastings: 450281
OS Northings: 322021
OS Grid: SK502220
Mapcode National: GBR 8KC.TK8
Mapcode Global: WHDHP.P16T
Entry Name: Stone House
Listing Date: 5 November 1984
Last Amended: 14 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361190
English Heritage Legacy ID: 189462
Location: Hathern, Charnwood, Leicestershire, LE12
Civil Parish: Hathern
Built-Up Area: Hathern
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Hathern St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5022 WIDE STREET
(South side), Hathern
House. Late C16 or early C17, late C18, restored late C20. Rubble stone walls, with plinth and quoins. Timber-framed gables with brick nogging and plain tile roofs. Two ridge chimney stacks and single side wall stack. Two parallel ranges, gable ends to street, with 1797 cross wing at rear. Two-storeys and attic.
Street front has slightly recessed brick centre with 4-centred arched door and 2-light casement above. Either side gables have 3-light casements on the ground floor and 2-light windows above. Smaller 2-light casements in attic.
North-east wall has 3-light casement to left and 2-light casement to right, above two 2-light casements.
South-west wall blank.
Rear wall has glazed late C20 consevatory across right wing. Left section masked by later lowere rendered addition.
INTERIOR retains much of basic plan with some original chamfered oak spin beams. Inglenook fireplace with chamfered bressemer survives in present dining room.
Roofs retain original timber structure, trusses have simple collar and some arched braces and original purlins. Lime-ash floors to attics.
A building was reputedly built in 1402 as a hunting lodge on this site.
Listing NGR: SK5028122021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings