History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary in Arden

A Grade II Listed Building in Harborough, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4805 / 52°28'49"N

Longitude: -0.9107 / 0°54'38"W

OS Eastings: 474078

OS Northings: 287505

OS Grid: SP740875

Mapcode National: GBR BSB.JL0

Mapcode Global: VHDQT.5XFC

Entry Name: Church of St Mary in Arden

Listing Date: 25 July 1952

Last Amended: 19 September 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361206

English Heritage Legacy ID: 189642

Location: Harborough, Leicestershire, LE16

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

Town: Harborough

Electoral Ward/Division: Market Harborough-Great Bowden

Built-Up Area: Market Harborough

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Market Harborough St Dionysius

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Market Harborough

Listing Text

GREAT BOWDEN ROAD
1.
5303
(East Side)
Church of St Mary in Arden
(formerly listed as
SP 78 NW 7/178 25.7.52. Chapel of St Mary in Arden)

II GV

2.
Originally the Parish Church of Market Harborough. Rebuilt circa 1693 to the designs
of Henry Dormer on the site of the earlier church. South Porch with Norman "Beaks
Head" decoration remains and C14/early C15 outer doorway. Church a simple oblong
building now roofless. Of stone rubble faced with limestone ashlar, very shallow
gables and light cornice. The stonework of the windows is plain. Porch of ironstone
with C17 limestone quoins one of which bears date 1660 and initials, possibly those
of the mason. A few feet of rubble wall east and west of the porch (only visible
in the interior) also survives from an earlier building. Monuments. Early C14
effigy of a lady, broken and defaced, remains in South Porch.


Listing NGR: SP7407887505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.