History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7223 / 52°43'20"N

Longitude: -1.5353 / 1°32'6"W

OS Eastings: 431486

OS Northings: 313951

OS Grid: SK314139

Mapcode National: GBR 6H9.8PJ

Mapcode Global: WHCGM.DT5W

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 24 November 1965

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187940

Location: Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe

Built-Up Area: Donisthorpe

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Donisthorpe St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Moira

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/06/2011

SK 31 SW
4/48


OAKTHORPE AND DONISTHORPE
DONISTHORPE
CHURCH STREET (south side)
Church of St. John the Evangelist

(Formerly listed as Church of St. John the Baptist)


24.11.65
GV
II


Church of 1838. Fine ashlar blocks patterned by tool marks and slate
roof. 'Lancet' style: W tower of 3 stages; broad nave of 6 windows;
shallow altar chapel. Buttresses between hooded lancets and angle
buttresses overall (all stepped). Those on nave and chapel join to form
ogee turret heads with foliage finials: finials missing from chapel.
W door with drop arch, lancet over, various slits, lancet bell-openings and
battlements. Interior: plastered walls and roof: painted trusses with
some braces forming drop and 4-centred arches. Probably contemporary
W gallery with arcaded front and font. Original box pews to either side
in nave. Central open pews and choir stalls slightly later. Mid C19
pulpit enlarged 1897. Last bay of nave araised chancel leading to wide
drop arch and altar chapel. E 3 lancet windows divided by 2 columns.
Stained glass c1920 by Jones and Willis. Date: 1938 plaque refers to
centenary.


Listing NGR: SK3148613951

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Vicarage
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II The Grange
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II 56 and 58, New Street
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II Donisthorpe Hall
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II 20, Moira Road
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II Engine House Cottage
    Ashby Woulds, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II 2, Coronation Lane
    Oakthorpe and Donisthorpe, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12
  • II The Furnace
    Ashby Woulds, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE12

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.