History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward King and Martyr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Donington, Leicestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8417 / 52°50'29"N

Longitude: -1.3377 / 1°20'15"W

OS Eastings: 444705

OS Northings: 327333

OS Grid: SK447273

Mapcode National: GBR 7HB.YCZ

Mapcode Global: WHDH8.FT6W

Entry Name: Church of St Edward King and Martyr

Listing Date: 7 December 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358101

Location: Castle Donington, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Castle Donington

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Castle Donington St Edward the King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Castle Donington

Listing Text

CASTLE DONINGTON CLAPGUN STREET
SK 4427-4527
9/54
Church of St Edward,
King and Martyr
7.12.62
GV
II*

Parish church. Early C13, with aisles widened C14, tower raised and given spire
late C14, and clerestory added C15. Very much restored 1876-77 by William Smith
of the Adelphi, London. Chancel restored 1902. Dressed stone with lead roofs.
West tower, aisled nave, south porch, chancel. Moulded plinths, battlemented
parapets. West tower of 3 stages has tall octagonal spire, part rebuilt late
C18, with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Angle buttresses, slit windows to south west
stairs, some carved head gargoyles. Bell-chamber has 2-light traceried open-
ings; C13 lancets below. Nave has late C15 clerestory of 4 bays with paired
cusped lights in rectangular surrounds. C14 north aisle has restored Decorated
windows with reticulated tracery, 2-light to west, 2 2-light to north, 3-light
to north and east of east bay. North door in moulded 2-centred arch. Off-set
buttresses. South aisle is slightly earlier, with keeled sill string and carved
heads to string below parapet. Off-set buttresses 2 with corbel stands in
gabled arched niches. 5 bays of 2-light traceried windows with carved head
hoodmould stops. Similar 3-light east window. West window and those to east
bay have shafts. South door in richly moulded arch, much restored, with pair of
shafts to each jamb. C15 south porch, much restored, with moulded 2-centred
arch and C16-C17 2-light side windows with ovolo mullions. Chancel has
chamfered sill string and dripmould. 2 bays of lancets, with 2-light Y-
traceried windows to east bay. South side also has partly blocked rectangular
lowside window with transom, and later door in chamfered surround. North side
has blocked door with 4-centred head. 5-light east window of 1902, in Perpendi-
cular style. Interior: Triple chamfered tower arch, the inner order on semi-
octagonal piers with moulded caps. 4-bay nave arcades, that to south with
double chamfered arches on cylindrical piers with moulded and carved capitals; 2
with dog-tooth ornament. North arcade is chamfered and hollow-chamfered, on
octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Above arcades are stone carved head
corbels of former roof. Present roof is C16-C17, part restored, with moulded
cambered tie beams and carved bosses. Similar aisle roofs. North aisle has
remains of stairs to rood. South aisle has shafted window jambs, cusped arched
piscina, and pair of arched niches, much restored, with shafts, carved capitals
and carved head stops to label. Squints to chancel and nave. Chancel arch is
triple-chamfered on corbels. Chancel has blocked door with roll moulding in
north wall, and fine C14 tomb recess with moulded and cusped arch. Inside is
the carved stone effigy of a priest, c1330, with ogee canopy. South wall has
C13 triple arched sedilia with shafts, and chamfered arched piscina. Fittings:
include a C15 octagonal stone font with heraldic panels, a C17 chest with carved
panels, and a pulpit assembled 1870s from re-used alabaster slabs with inscript-
ions and incised figures on inner faces. Other fittings are late C19 and C20.
Monuments: in south aisle is a stone tomb chest with corner shafts and brasses
depicting Robert Staunton and wife Agnes, d1458, in crocketed ogee canopies. In
north aisle is a very fine alabaster tomb chest with carved effigies of Robert
Hazylrygg, d1529, and wife. Sides of chest have cusped semi-circular arcades
with relief figures of shield-bearing angels and seated bedesmen.


Listing NGR: SK4470527333

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.