This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6347 / 52°38'4"N
Longitude: -1.1378 / 1°8'16"W
OS Eastings: 458444
OS Northings: 304453
OS Grid: SK584044
Mapcode National: GBR FFK.SD
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H1DH
Entry Name: Guildhall
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361405
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188655
Location: Leicester, LE1
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Guildhall (Old Town Hall)
SK 5804 SW 2/47 5.1.50
Originally Hall of the Corpus Christi Guild founded 1347 Used as Town
Hall from circa 1495 to 1875. Timber frame building dating from mid C14.
Well restored in 1922-26. Stone base. L-shaped on plan. The north range
(the earliest part) consists of a one-storey hall with close-set studding
and restored old slate roof, five bays, three with casement windows and
the two right-hand bays have windows across the whole width. Entrance
door has early C18 moulded segmental pediment and small gabled window
over. Built around small court yard : east range timber framed and gabled.
West range timber-frame with continuous window bands on both floors,
elevation facing St Martins West three storeys, stone ground floor, timber
frame above, five fixed casement windows, top storey has three gables
each with one window, oversailing, lead gutter, old slate roof, inside
- Mayor's Parlour, panelled, with fine fireplace of 1637 with columns
and strapwork. The south range enclosing yard, late C18 red brick, five
windows. Interior of hall: east end is mid C14 open timber roof with
cruck trusses, collar- beams an arched braces, and king-posts on the
collars, the west end is C15 with tie-beams on arched braces. East range
has room which was library of 1632. A.M.
Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Martin's Cathedral and the Guildhall together with
No 20 Loseby Lane form a group also St Martins Cathedral forms a group with
Nos 3 to 7 (odd) St Martins East.
Listing NGR: SK5844404453
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings