This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.605 / 52°36'17"N
Longitude: -1.1534 / 1°9'12"W
OS Eastings: 457431
OS Northings: 301132
OS Grid: SK574011
Mapcode National: GBR FBX.C2
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.8S0B
Entry Name: Aylestone Hall
Listing Date: 23 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188566
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Aylestone
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Aylestone St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012
SK 50 SE 17/156
Mediaeval with later alterations of all periods, the external appearance,
with all the windows, being largely C19. Two storeys grey roughcast,
windows generally painted wood mullion and transom. The house consists
of a centre with two wings all in one place, the divisions being marked
by changes in roof shape. At the left hand is a hipped slate roof portion,
the central portion a tall slate roof, then to the right a continuation
of the same roof but to a lesser height. To the left of the centre part
is a two-storey gabled porch of Jacobean type, but possibly of C19 date,
the ground floor having a four-centred archway giving access to a simple
C18 door. Large chimney stacks, roughcast, but apparently old with grouped
hexagonal shafts rising from massive bases. Rear has two projecting wings,
the right hand gabled, the left with a hipped roof. Door to right hand
with open pediment and round arched fanlight with Gothic tracery. The
outside has a rainwater head with initials of the Manners family F.J.M.
1768. Interior almost certainly had a central great hall open to the
roof with solar and kitchen wings the porch opening into a screens passage.
In the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries a floor was inserted probably
retaining the ground floor as a great hall, and later further partitions
and other features were inserted. The northern ground floor room is lined
with early mid. C17 oak panelling; inserted C19 mantelpiece, The new
stairs have reused C17 splat balusters. Upstairs certain of the rooms
have beamed ceilings with a chamfered tie-beams supporting Queen posts
etc. There are no features visible which can certainly be described as
mediaeval, but the proportion and general shape and form of the structure
indicate that period. The house is supposed to have been where Prince
Charles Stuart (Charles II) lodged during the Battle of Leicester.
The south wing has an exposed stud partion on the upper floor with arched braces
supporting the tie beam, and the partly exposed roof structue also has arched braces to the
purlins. This suggests that this southern wing was the earliest section of the building,
probably early C16, which was probably the original hall, which was converted into the
solar wing when the larger central hall was added.
Listing NGR: SK5743101132
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings