This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5888 / 52°35'19"N
Longitude: -0.6066 / 0°36'23"W
OS Eastings: 494493
OS Northings: 299906
OS Grid: SP944999
Mapcode National: GBR DV1.PFR
Mapcode Global: WHGM7.N6B7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186841
Location: Barrowden, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Barrowden
Built-Up Area: Barrowden
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Barrowden and Wakerley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP 99 NW CHURCH LANE (West End)
8/19 Church of St. Peter
Church. C13-C15, restored later C19. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone with quoins
and leaded, parapetted and Collyweston slate roofs with stone coped gables.
W tower with spire, nave, aisles, N chancel chapel, chancel and S porch. Tower
of C14, of ashlar, and of 3 stages, with plinth and clasping buttresses with
set-offs. W window, a quartrefoil window to each of 3 sides in 2nd stage, slits
to SW staircase, sundial on S side of SW buttress, 4 pairs of 2-light bell
openings with transom, and quatrefoil frieze over. Spire has small flat broaches,
3 tiers of lucarnes in alternating positions, the top tier small quatrefoils,
roll mouldings to the face angles and the summit of a circlet of leaves with
iron weathervane. Inside, the nave arch is double chamfered, the inner dying
into semi-circular respond. C13 2 bay nave arcades, the S earlier with circular
pier and crocket capital. N similar with plain pier and both have double chamfered
pointed arches. Hood moulds and C19 label stops overall. N arcade and clerestory
said rebuilt at restoration. Latter has 3 Perp windows each side and 3 bay
C19 low-pitch tie beam roof, rising from possibly original battlemented stone
corbels. Outside a parapetted roof. N aisle has buttresses with set-offs, NW
window with C19 Reticulated tracery, blocked N door and possibly C19 triple
lancet window. In continuation of aisle into N chancel chapel a similar window
and NE window with original Reticulated tracery and niche on S wall below.
2 bay round arched arcade to chancel with double chamfers. Chancel has restored
Perp E and 2 S windows and small S door and C19 boarded 4 bay roof incorporating
fragments of original Perp roof and 3 carved supporting figures each side.
Cusped headed niche and double sedilia with roll mouldings on S wall. Chancel
is of ashlar with plinth, buttresses with set-offs and parapetted roof. S aisle
has lead roof, S window with Geometric tracery and SW Perp window, small cusped
headed piscina and C13 plain octagonal font on 4 short moulded and chamfered
piers and central drainage pier. S porch has many moulded round arch though
shafts have gone. S doorway has round arch with double chamfer and curved inner
edge, with outer shafts remaining. Door, now 2 leaved, C17 or possibly earlier.
Small brass wall monument to former rector Rowland Digby d.1546, fine stone
wall monument to Roland Durant d.l588, and further monument of 1840. Re-assembled
fragments of fine pulpit dated 1605. Right side of rector's chair c1540 carved
with inscription 'Rowlandus Digbi, Rector' and 'D.E.' and 'B.A.' either side
fleur-de-lys. Otherwise C19 oak choir stalls, pulpit and pews, and brass lectern.
Majolica tile reredos by firm of Maw. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877
Listing NGR: SP9449399906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings