History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priory

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ketton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6273 / 52°37'38"N

Longitude: -0.5506 / 0°33'2"W

OS Eastings: 498204

OS Northings: 304273

OS Grid: SK982042

Mapcode National: GBR DTQ.CM1

Mapcode Global: WHGM2.J714

Entry Name: The Priory

Listing Date: 6 June 1961

Last Amended: 17 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361471

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187138

Location: Ketton, Rutland, PE9

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Ketton

Built-Up Area: Ketton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Ketton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Duddington

Listing Text

SK 9804-9904 KETTON CHURCH ROAD
15/49 (south side)

6.6.61 The Priory
(formerly No 10
(The Priory) including
outbuldings to street)
GV
II*

House of various mainly C17 and C18 builds. Of coursed rubble and ashlar, with
Collyweston stone slate roofs, coped gables and ashlar ridge and end stacks. Garden
front has earliest range to right, dated 1602 over entrance in gable end, 2-storeys
and 2 window range, partly masked by conservatory, but with door and 1st floor stone
mullioned window of 4 round-headed lights to left. Gable end has 2-light
ovolo-moulded stone mullioned window with cornice over. Flanking wing has gable
with similar 3-light window dated 1632. To left of original house is C18 range, in
2 parts but both of ashlar, 2 storeys and attics, and treated in a similar manner
architecturally. The first, 2 windows wide, continues the line of the original
house and the second, to the left, is slightly recessed and raised. This part has
five 1st floor windows and 4 ground floor windows, that to the right with Gothic
tracery within a quarter-round porch, probably later, linking the 2 parts. All the
other windows are sashes within raised architraves with keystones. Band below 1st
floor windows. Rear elevation of this block has rusticated quoins and sash windows
within moulded architraves with triple keystones, but the street front is dominated
by 2 coped gabled wings with end stacks, that to the left of rubble and with a 1618
datestone, and that to the right of ashlar with a datestone W 1663, and two C19
T M
window openings, one with mullion and transom. To the right of this a parapeted C19
block, partly recessed, with a similar window, 2 sash windows and a tall 3-shaft
chimney stack. Interior of C18 block has panelled room with ceiling of decorative
plasterwork.


Listing NGR: SK9820404273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.