History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Casterton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6773 / 52°40'38"N

Longitude: -0.4956 / 0°29'44"W

OS Eastings: 501805

OS Northings: 309909

OS Grid: TF018099

Mapcode National: GBR FVK.1J3

Mapcode Global: WHGLQ.CY6W

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 6 June 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361524

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187201

Location: Little Casterton, Rutland, PE9

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Little Casterton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Little Casterton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Stamford

Listing Text

TF 0009-0109 LITTLE CASTERTON MAIN STREET
11/113 (north side)

6.6. 61 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
GV
II*


Church, exterior appearance mainly C13, but with earlier origin. "Repaired" 1844
of coursed rubble, with lead roofs to nave and south aisle, and Collyweston stone
slate roofs to north aisle and chancel, the latter steeply pitched. Two-bay nave
with aisles and C15 clerestory, chancel, gabled south porch dated 1837 on buttress,
early C13 round headed north doorway, twin west bellcote. Lancet windows with
moulded stringcourse beneath. Interior: 2-bay round-arched nave arcade carried on
cylindrical piers - north side pre-1200, with waterleaf capitals, square abaci and
roll-mouldings to the arches, south side early C13 with circular abaci and double
chamfered arches. C15 nave roof with carved angel figures and bosses. Late C13
tomb recess in south aisle, with 2 coffin lids carved with foliated crosses. South
aisle also has piscina. Norman tympanum carved with Tree of Life displayed in north
aisle. C13 wall painting of Ecclesia and Synagogua in jambs of west lancet, and
some more fragmentary remains of painting also in south aisle. Barrel-vaulted
chancel has very fine arched piscina flanked by tiny shafts with crocketted gable
above, supported by head-stops. Foliage carving in spandrel. Drain in floor below
in form of 4-petalled flower, apparently from the destroyed church at Pickworth.
Brass to Thomas Burton of Tolethorpe d.1381 and wife. N Pevsner, Leicestershire and
Rutland, pp 305-6.


Listing NGR: TF0180509909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.