History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ayston, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5997 / 52°35'58"N

Longitude: -0.7324 / 0°43'56"W

OS Eastings: 485948

OS Northings: 300964

OS Grid: SK859009

Mapcode National: GBR CSC.TYN

Mapcode Global: WHFKV.QXFD

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 10 November 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361553

English Heritage Legacy ID: 187464

Location: Ayston, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Ayston

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Uppingham St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Uppingham

Listing Text

AYSTON AYSTON
SK 80 SE
2/1
Church of St Mary
10/11/55
II*
Parish church. C15. West tower C14/15. Coursed rubble stone tiled roof.
Nave, aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Clerestory with 3 2-light Perpendicular
windows to north and south. C13 north aisle of rubble. 2 light window with
label stops. To right one lancet and one squared light. South aisle C13 and
widened c.1400. 2 perpendicular 3-light windows. East window of south aisle
has C15 stained glass. South dooorway C15 with squared label. C17 door. South
porch c.1450. Chancel C15: north and south wall have 2 and 3-light Perpendicular
windows. To left is south wall of chancel is a light Perpendicular window.
East window has large 5 light Perpendicular window. Embattled tower with corner
buttresses. 2 light perpendicular belfry window. West window has Decorated
cusped Y tracery. Interior: Nave arcade late C13 early C14: North arcade has
round-headed arches, south arcade pointed. Both arcades have circular piers,
circular abaci, and double chamfered arches. C15 chancel arches with castellated
capitals over which a set of painted royal arms. Aumbry cupboard in north wall
and piscina recess opposite. C18 box pews. C18 single pedestal font C14
monumental slab in west end of north aisle.


Listing NGR: SK8594800964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.