This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6122 / 52°36'43"N
Longitude: -0.7164 / 0°42'59"W
OS Eastings: 487008
OS Northings: 302371
OS Grid: SK870023
Mapcode National: GBR CSC.CNZ
Mapcode Global: WHFKV.ZL0T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361558
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187480
Location: Preston, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Preston
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Preston St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
PRESTON CHURCH LANE
SK 8602 and SK 8702
Church of St Peter
and St Paul
Parish church. Late C12, early C13. nave, clerestory, tower, and porch late
C14. Rubble, ashlar, tiled roof. Nave, chancel, aisles, west tower, south porch.
Restored in 1856. Nave clerestory of 3 2 light Perpendicular windows. South
aisle has 3 2 light Perpendicular windows with hood mouldings and label stops.
North aisle has 3 2-light straight-headed Perpendicular windows with flat labels
and hood moulded arched doorway of c1200 to west end. Chancel is C15 and has
one 2-light Perpendicular window on north wall and so south wall. To the left
on the south wall of the chancel is a priest's door with finial and stained glass
light. Large "Decorated" East window wade in 1856 out of square-headed original.
Chancel clerestory has paired Perpendicular windows on north and south walls.
Late C14 south porch with small lights in returns. Embattled western tower with
2-light bell openings with a transom and a recessed spire with two tiers of lucarnes.
Interior: Norman north arcade of 3 bays. Circular pier and square abaci. Capitals
with scallops or waterleaf. First two arches have zig-zag decoration. South
arcade c.1250 circular abaci and double chamfered. Sedile with leaf capitals.
Decorated ogee-headed recess at east of south aisle. Stained glass in east window
by Gerente, 1856.
Listing NGR: SK8700802371
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings