This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5867 / 52°35'12"N
Longitude: -1.1025 / 1°6'8"W
OS Eastings: 460905
OS Northings: 299144
OS Grid: SP609991
Mapcode National: GBR 9PD.XRF
Mapcode Global: WHFKW.179T
Entry Name: Church of St Wistan
Listing Date: 1 October 1953
Last Amended: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361576
English Heritage Legacy ID: 187572
Location: Oadby and Wigston, Leicestershire, LE18
District: Oadby and Wigston
Town: Oadby and Wigston
Electoral Ward/Division: Wigston Meadowcourt
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Wigston Magna All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
Page 16 - item 4/25 the word "attention" in the last sentence should be amended
to read "attribution".
In the entry for
Item 4/25 on page 16 - Delete the 3 line NOTE: at the foot of the description
and insert it at the foot of the description for Item 4/24 above (Bushloe House).
WIGSTON CHURCH NOOK (north side)
Church of St Wistan (formerly
1.lO.53 listed as "Church of St Wolstan")
Church. Early C14 tower is all that remains of a church which was demolished in
the C17. The rest was rebuilt in 1853 by Walker and Goodacre and restored 1877
by R J & J Goodacre. Tower is of squared limestone, the rest of uncoursed granite
rubble with Welsh slate roof. 3 stage west tower with tall foiled bell chamber
lights, frieze and embattled parapet. Recessed spire with lucarnes. Aisleless
nave in early decorated style with wide porch and south doorway, and 3 light windows.
Chancel window has decorated tracery of an elaborate tree-like form. In the north
wall which is of rubble construction the windows are squared openings with mullions
and transoms. Inside the west tower arch has semi-octagonal responds for a double
chamfered arch. The nave is wider than the tower to the north. It has a braced
roof. Stilted hood mould with angel corbel heads to east window.
NOTE: This is the farmhouse referred to plan form appears on a conveyance of 1852.
Furniture in carved ebony is retained in Victoria and Albert Museum. Its attention
to dresser has recently been questioned.
Listing NGR: SP6090599144
Other nearby listed buildings