This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7789 / 53°46'44"N
Longitude: -2.6879 / 2°41'16"W
OS Eastings: 354767
OS Northings: 431620
OS Grid: SD547316
Mapcode National: GBR TCP.V9
Mapcode Global: WH85M.P88T
Entry Name: South West Perimeter Wall Extending Approximately 200 Metres from Main Entrance, Fulwood Barracks
Listing Date: 29 March 1982
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185880
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Garrison
Built-Up Area: Fulwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fulwood Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD53SW FULWOOD WATLING STREET ROAD
1023/7/33 SW perimeter wall
extending approx 200m from main entrance, Fulwood Barracks
Perimeter wall. 1843-48, by Major T Foster, for the Ordnance Board. Snecked sandstone ashlar. Tall wall with half-round coping extends approximately 200m to form SW corner, including projecting corner giving field of fire up W side with blocked rifle holes.
HISTORY: the perimeter wall originally had canted E and W sides covered by rifle slots in projecting corners at both ends, and formed a projecting triangle to the entrances in the N and S ends, also covered by rifle slots. The main entrance had a pedimented archway with a carved stone Royal Arms, now re-set outside the present entrance. The barracks was built in response to anxiety over Chartist agitation. An important part of the only example of a defensible barracks in England. Although sections have been lost, the surviving lengths form an important part of the original plan of the barracks, forming the lost complete example in Britain of the late C18 concept of barracks design.
(PSA Drawings Collection, NMR: MCR 58).
Listing NGR: SD5476731620
Other nearby listed buildings