History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longley Hall and Garden Wall to Front

A Grade II Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8477 / 53°50'51"N

Longitude: -2.6955 / 2°41'43"W

OS Eastings: 354338

OS Northings: 439274

OS Grid: SD543392

Mapcode National: GBR 9RMY.7G

Mapcode Global: WH857.KKM4

Entry Name: Longley Hall and Garden Wall to Front

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361631

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185882

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goosnargh St Mary The Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Inglewhite

Listing Text

SD 53 NW GOOSNARGH BILSBORROW LANE (off)

4/35 Longley Hall and garden
wall to front

II

Farmhouse, probably mid-C18, altered, but incorporating earlier fabric,
including datestone of 1668. Brick, with sandstone plinth and some quoins
to rear and west gable, slate roof with 2 brick chimneys. Double-depth
2-bay plan, with lean-to addition to rear. Two storeys and garrets; south
front to garden has 2-course 1st floor band, gabled single-storey porch
offset to the right, three 4-pane sashes at ground floor and 4 above, all
with slightly segmental brick heads; left gable wall has one window on each
of 3 floors and quoins up to half height of rear corner; right gable wall
has 4 irregularly disposed windows on 4 levels; rear has single-storey
lean-to with stone quoins, a narrow stairlight above, a large window at
ground floor and a segmental-headed 2-light casement at 1st floor.
Interior: large beams throughout, mostly chamfered and some with cyma
stops, one (in kitchen, ground floor left) with roll moulding on the soffit
and one side but roughly chamfered on the other side (possibly a re-used
hearth bressummer); parlour door with geometrical bolection-moulded
panelling, H-hinges, and decorated iron bolt all on the inner side;
full-height doglegged staircase with closed string, turned balusters,
moulded handrail, square newels; timber-framed partitions at 1st floor;
lintel of former backdoor (now under lean-to) has oval panel lettered in
relief ER . History original hall probably built by William Latewis
(b.1544), recusant who forfeited estate 1607; owned by Rigby family in C17
(Edward Rigby, Sergeant-at-Law, died c.1682); in mid-C18 owned by James
Parkinson of Preston, apothecary. House probably rebuilt by one of the
Parkinsons, using fabric of earlier building. Garden wall to south, of
handmade brick with ridged sandstone coping of C17 type, L-shaped,
enclosing east and south sides of garden. Reference: Fishwick Goosnargh pp
181-4. (Also known as Latus Hall).


Listing NGR: SD5433839274

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.