History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Lee Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Goosnargh, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8797 / 53°52'46"N

Longitude: -2.6786 / 2°40'43"W

OS Eastings: 355482

OS Northings: 442822

OS Grid: SD554428

Mapcode National: GBR 9RQK.WZ

Mapcode Global: WH851.TRM4

Entry Name: White Lee Farmhouse

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185929

Location: Goosnargh, Preston, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Goosnargh

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Whitechapel St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Inglewhite

Listing Text

SD 54 SE GOOSNARGH WHITE LEE LANE

2/82 White Lee Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
"White Lee Cottage")
11.11.1966
II

Farmhouse, C17, reduced E-plan hall house, much altered. Sandstone rubble
with quoins (painted white), slate roof. Now roughly T-plan (south wing have
been demolished in C19), consisting of 2-bay hall range (extended to left in
place of former wing) with projecting porch to left, and crosswing at right
end (and later lean-to addition in rear angle extending beyond the wing). Two
and 2½ storeys; porch, of dressed stone at ground floor, has doorway with
square surround, the slightly-pointed lintel with a cross cut into the face,
and a 3-light double-chamfered mullion window above; set-back centre has a
tall C19 3-light mullioned window on each floor, and inserted door to the
right, a small single-light window on top of this and another above, both with
hoodmoulds (possibly former firewindows, the lower raised to make a
"fanlight") gable of wing has at 1st floor double-chamfered mullion windows of
3 and 4 lights on slightly different levels, a similar 3-light attic window,
and another in the re-entrant. Rear gable of wing has remains of a very long
hoodmould at 1st floor, a blocked 3-light attic window above, lacking one
mullion. All other openings altered or inserted. Ridge chimney in line with
porch; altered chimney on wing. History: much altered, but wing has large
chamfered beams with tongue stops lateral partition recently removed).
History: belonged to Catterall family of Little Mitton, descending in late C16
to the Kighley or Keighley family, Catholics, who mortgaged (1693) and
subsequently lost it, the last of the Keighleys having quit the country after
taking part in the 1715 Jacobite rebellion; the demolished part contained a
small Catholic chapel: reference Fishwick Goosnargh pp.155-9 (Other similarly
altered hall-houses in this parish include Bullsnape Hall and Blake Hall, and
Ashes and White Hill farmhouses, q.v.)


Listing NGR: SD5548242822

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.