History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Haighton Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Haighton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.809 / 53°48'32"N

Longitude: -2.6581 / 2°39'29"W

OS Eastings: 356761

OS Northings: 434947

OS Grid: SD567349

Mapcode National: GBR 9SWD.B9

Mapcode Global: WH96L.4JH9

Entry Name: Haighton Manor

Listing Date: 11 November 1966

Last Amended: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361662

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185940

Location: Haighton, Preston, Lancashire, PR2

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Haighton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Broughton St John The Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Goosnargh

Listing Text

SD 53 SE HAIGHTON HAIGHTON GREEN LANE

8/93 Haighton Manor
(formerly listed as
"Haighton House")
11.11.1966
II

Small manor house, now restaurant, said to be dated 1657; altered.
Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with stone gable copings
at the front. E-plan: 3-bay hall range with central porch, projecting
wings. Two and 2½ storeys; symmetrical 3-gable facade; chamfered plinth,
continuous drip-course carried round the whole facade; 2-storey gabled
porch has outer doorway with large lintel undercut to make a simplified
Tudor arch, a rectangular panel in the face (now blank), a
similarly-shaped inner doorway, a small peep-window in the left side wall,
a 4-light double-chamfered stone mullion window at 1st floor and similar
3-light windows in each side, both blocked, a drip-band carried round over
all these. Left and right of the porch, and in the gable of the right
wing, are similar mullioned windows: 3 lights on each floor to the left
(the lower lengthened and with altered mullions), 5 lights at ground floor
to the right and 6 above, 5 lights on each floor of the wing with a
blocked 3-light attic window above: the upper windows have hoodmoulds.
Right return wall of right wing has a large external chimney stack,
altered openings. Gable of left wing has an inserted doorway with
rectangular fanlight near the right hand side, 12-pane sash above this, a
Venetian window on each floor, with glazing bars, and a blocked
round-headed attic window (these 3 with keystones); left return wall has a
small 2-light window on each floor. Modern additions cover the whole of
the rear. In the angles of the wings are rainwater heads lettered
H . Interior: much altered, but pitch-pine chamfered beams with run-
H M
1772
out stops, carried on stone corbels, may imitate originals.


Listing NGR: SD5676134947

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.