History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ambrose Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodplumpton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8107 / 53°48'38"N

Longitude: -2.7607 / 2°45'38"W

OS Eastings: 350003

OS Northings: 435207

OS Grid: SD500352

Mapcode National: GBR 9S5C.3P

Mapcode Global: WH85D.KGKZ

Entry Name: Ambrose Hall

Listing Date: 13 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361687

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185978

Location: Woodplumpton, Preston, Lancashire, PR4

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Civil Parish: Woodplumpton

Built-Up Area: Woodplumpton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Woodplumpton St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Barton

Listing Text

SD 43 NE WOODPLUMPTON PLUMPTON LANE (off)

3/131 Ambrose Hall

II

Farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Dated 1697 internally, but probably earlier;
altered 1871. Stuccoed brick painted white, slate roof. Three-bay
baffle-entry plan. Two storeys; 1st floor band; doorway (in line with
large ridge chimney stack) at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays, protected by
single-storey gabled porch with arched opening; three C19 windows on each
floor, all with wooden mullions and transoms, and hoodmoulds. Left gable
has single-storey lean-to porch, 2 small attic windows, gable chimney;
rear has short outshut to 1st bay, porch to 3rd bay (like that at front),
some sashed windows. Interior: housepart in 2nd bay and kitchen in 3rd
bay have back-to-back inglenook fireplaces, the former with
tongue-stopped 1/4-round moulded bressummer and a recessed panel above
lettered in relief "W.S 1697" (= William Shaw); housepart has beam also
with tongue-stopped 1/4-round moulding, and 2 doorways to 1st bay (now
other dwelling); 1st floor has numerous chamfered beams with cyma stops,
and some original timber-framed partitions; in roof space a large brick
smoke hood, one collar truss with curved principals. History: Ambrose
family associated with Woodplumpton in C16 and C17, William Ambrose given
as "of Ambrose Hall" in 1629. Reference: George Jackson Woodplumpton its
History in Religion, Houses and Families (1971), pp.86-7.


Listing NGR: SD5000335207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.