History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Catlow Farmhouse and catlow Hall Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Nelson, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8244 / 53°49'27"N

Longitude: -2.1791 / 2°10'44"W

OS Eastings: 388310

OS Northings: 436475

OS Grid: SD883364

Mapcode National: GBR FS76.1S

Mapcode Global: WHB7Y.H4LG

Entry Name: Catlow Farmhouse and catlow Hall Farm

Listing Date: 26 January 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361731

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186339

Location: Nelson, Pendle, Lancashire, BB10

County: Lancashire

District: Pendle

Civil Parish: Nelson

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Great Marsden St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Nelson

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/04/2016

SD 83 NE
11/178

NELSON
SOUTHFIELD LANE
Catlow Farmhouse and Catlow Hall Farm

(Formerly listed as Catlow Fold Farm and Catlow Hall)

26.1.68

II
House. Probably 1666, refurbishment of c1600 core. Part cement washed, part pebbledashed, and part exposed stone. Stone slate roof. Main range with cross wing and rear wing. Two storeys. Extensively altered. Entrance front of three gables, with roughly central round-headed doorway and various windows. Only those in the centre preserve their original proportions. In the central gable is a stepped 4-light window lighting an attic. Garden front has, to front ground floor, a double sash window with square stone mullion and three C17 chamfered windows with only one mullion remaining. Above are two C17 windows one of 3 lights with the centre mullion removed the other with all mullions lost. In between are three recent windows (1983). Date stone lost but said to have been dated July 1666. RCHM reports that only the east wing retains early features including king post trusses, one with V struts. (52/p155/RCHM).


Listing NGR: SD8831036475

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.