This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7362 / 52°44'10"N
Longitude: -0.5645 / 0°33'52"W
OS Eastings: 497018
OS Northings: 316363
OS Grid: SK970163
Mapcode National: GBR DSC.G3M
Mapcode Global: WHGLH.9HF6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 186603
Location: Clipsham, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Clipsham
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Clipsham St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 91 NE CHURCH LANE (East end)
4/34 Church of St. Mary
Church mostly of C12, C13 and C14. Coursed stone and ashlar with plinth,
moulded bands, and part Collyweston slate, part parapetted roofs. W tower
with spire, nave, aisles, chancel, N chancel aisle and S porch. W tower
of c1300 of 3 stages and spire. W window with cusped head and SW corner
frontal buttress extension containing staircase. Above on W side a frieze
of small human heads. 4 bell openings with restored plate tracery. Hood
moulds and label stops. Ball flower and head frieze as spire cornice.
Small section of square pyramid roof becomes small section of square
tower with row of miniature battlemented turrets. Here 4 2-light gabled
lucarnes with shafts and finials. Pyramid roof continues behind turrets
and lucarnes with flat broaches on corners and another battlemented turret
projecting from each broach. A mask at top of each broach where octagonal
2 stage spire begins. Here 4 similar lucarnes. Spire becomes pyramidical
at summit with gilded weathercock above. Inside nave triple-shafted responds
to 3 tower arches. 3 bay N and S arcades: N is Norman, rounded arches
with roll mouldings on circular piers; S of c1200, rounded double chamfered
arches on circular piers. Various decoration. Nave has 4 bay low-pitch
cambered tie beam roof on restored stone corbels. Clerestory of 3 flat-topped
2-light cusp-headed windows. Dec N aisle with restored ball flower and
head frieze. N door and 4 restored Curvilinear tracery windows. N chancel
chapel with 2 bay arcade on quatrefoil pier. Chancel with Reticulated
E window. C19 double purlin roof with curved braces to collars from stone
corbels or angels. Fine Dec S aisle: E window with Curvilinear tracery,
and ball flower decoration. 2 flat-topped S windows with Reticulated
tracery. Ball flower and head frieze. Gabled S porch: S doorway with
sunk quadrant mouldings. Norman font; S aisle piscina; clock in N aisle
by John Watts of Sleaford, dated 1688. C19 stained glass overall (E and
W windows by Wailes c1860), except for medieval fragments in NE window.
Complete set of fine carved C19 oak pews, lectern and pulpit. Elaborately
carved oak reredos by J. Richardson of Stamford c1860. Wall monuments
of C18. Wall brass of c1847 to Snow family designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin.
White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SK9701816363
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings