History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stretton, Rutland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7312 / 52°43'52"N

Longitude: -0.595 / 0°35'41"W

OS Eastings: 494973

OS Northings: 315769

OS Grid: SK949157

Mapcode National: GBR DSB.LF2

Mapcode Global: WHGLG.TMV0

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 186691

Location: Stretton, Rutland, LE15

County: Rutland

Civil Parish: Stretton

Traditional County: Rutland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland

Church of England Parish: Stretton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
South Witham

Listing Text

STRETTON

SK 91 NW CHURCH LANE (West side)

3/121 Church of St. Nicholas

14.6.54

GV II*


Church of C12 - C14, and C17, C19. Coursed rubble stone and ashlar with
Collyweston slate roof and red ridge tiles. Nave with W bellcote, N
aisle, N and S transepts, chancel and S porch. W stepped buttress with
a C19 lancet either side and C13 double bellcote. Openings have triple-
chamfered arches dying into uprights. Spirelet above. Nave has fine
C13 2 bay arcade. Moulded round arches (roll with fillet and hollow
chamfers) supported on cruciform piers with free-standing shafts and
stiff-leaf capitals. C19 common rafter roof with 2 tie beams. N aisle
has C13 W lancet and C19 flat-topped N window with c1880 stained glass.
N transept is Perp with 3-light N window and 2-light NE window. Near
last a corbel bracket with niche below. Double chamfered chancel arch,
the inner a hollow chamfer, dying into polygonal capitals with nail-head
decoration and head corbels beneath. C13 chancel with C19 boarded polygonal
roof. N lancet with stained glass of 1876. Restored Perp E window with
stained glass of 1882. A corbel bracket either side. S flat-topped
window and S lancet with stained glass of c1875. Early C14 simple Sedilia
and double Piscina. C17 S transept with S 4-light stone mullion window
and SE small lancet. C13 S porch with simple Norman S doorway. C13 font;
C18 wall monuments in chancel and S transept; C19 carved oak pulpit,
choir stalls and lectern; and C17 altar rail. Pevsner.


Listing NGR: SK9497315769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.