History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Oswald

A Grade II Listed Building in Preesall, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9272 / 53°55'37"N

Longitude: -2.9771 / 2°58'37"W

OS Eastings: 335938

OS Northings: 448334

OS Grid: SD359483

Mapcode National: GBR 7RN0.8Z

Mapcode Global: WH84Q.7KL7

Entry Name: Church of St Oswald

Listing Date: 3 October 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185040

Location: Preesall, Wyre, Lancashire, FY6

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Preesall

Built-Up Area: Preesall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preesall St Oswald

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preesall

Listing Text

SD 34 NE PREESALL WITH HACKENSALL LANCASTER ROAD

2/28 Church of St. Oswald

-

- II

Church, 1896 by Austin and Paley. Red brick with sandstone dressings and green
slate roof. Comprises a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, a south
aisle, south porch, and transepts. South aisle of 4 bays, the central windows
paired. Windows of 2 lights, each with a quatrefoil under a pointed head with
hood. The south transept, which is buttressed, has a similar window, but with
the heads of the lights cusped. The gabled porch has a door with moulded round
arch. The west window is of 3 cusped ogee lights. The north nave wall is of
3 bays, the windows having flat heads and cusped lights. The east window has
a pointed head, 4 cusped ogee lights, and tracery with curvilinear motifs.
Towards the west end of the nave roof is a bellcote clad in shingles, of square
plan splayed back to a short spire. Interior has walls of exposed brickwork with
sandstone dressings, the chancel walls being clad entirely in sandstone. The
south aisle is of 4 bays having octagonal piers with concave sides. The nave
roof trusses have tie beams, braced king posts, and a ceiling which follows the
curve of arch braces to form a barrel roof. All has stendil decoration. The
south transept contains a chapel, the north transept forming an organ chamber.
The chancel screen, with Perpendicular tracery, incorporates a pulpit at its
northern end. The chancel has a piscina and double sedilia. A plan and perspective
view displayed inside the church, by Austin and Paley and dated 1896, shows
the church as proposed, including a west tower which was not executed.


Listing NGR: SD3593848334

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.