This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8789 / 53°52'44"N
Longitude: -2.742 / 2°44'31"W
OS Eastings: 351317
OS Northings: 442777
OS Grid: SD513427
Mapcode National: GBR 9R9L.58
Mapcode Global: WH850.VRGQ
Entry Name: Nos 1 and 2 the Street
Listing Date: 17 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185466
Location: Claughton, Wyre, Lancashire, PR3
Civil Parish: Claughton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Garstang St Helen, Churchtown
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
CLAUGHTON FLEET STREET
SD 54 SW
8/75 Nos.l & 2 The Street
Two houses, formerly one, 1689. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 3
storeys, 3 bays, with a drip course. Windows rebated and chamfered with
mullions, except for the left-hand one on the 1st floor and those to the
2nd floor, which are chamfered. Those on the ground and 1st floors have
hoods. The ground-floor windows are of 4 and 5 lights, with a 2-light fire
window at the left. Those on the 1st floor are of 3, 3, and 4 lights.
Those to the 2nd floor are of 2, 3, and 2 lights. The door, in the middle
bay, has a moulded surround with shaped lintel inscribed: '1689 A WM R'.
Gable chimneys. To the left and right are lower additions. The left-hand
one has a 2-light rebated and chamfered mullioned window in its front
wall and a chimney on its gable. The right-hand addition, once a shippon,
has`a similar window, and a door to the left with plain reveals. Its
right-hand gable wall contains a re-set battlemented lintel with a carved
badger, the crest of the Fitzherbert-Brockholes family. Inside, the
left-hand room of the original house has a firehood bressumer and two
exposed axial ceiling beams, all with edge roll mouldings. In the rear
wall of the hearth there is a spice cupboard with carved door inscribed:
'ATAR 1689'. The beams visible on the 1st floor are also moulded. In the
attic the timber corbels which carried the chimney cap associated with the
firehood remain. The roof trusses have collars and queen struts.
Listing NGR: SD5131742777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings