History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Garstang, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8991 / 53°53'56"N

Longitude: -2.7762 / 2°46'34"W

OS Eastings: 349093

OS Northings: 445049

OS Grid: SD490450

Mapcode National: GBR 9R1C.R0

Mapcode Global: WH850.B876

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361933

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185502

Location: Garstang, Wyre, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Garstang

Built-Up Area: Garstang

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Garstang St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Garstang

Listing Text

GARSTANG CHURCH STREET
SD 44 NE
4/108

Church of St Thomas

17-4-1967

GV

II

Church, 1770 by Richard Gillow, with chancel added 1876. Sandstone rubble
with slate roofs. Comprises a west tower, nave, and lower chancel with
north transept. Tower and nave have chamfered quoins. Bell openings have
plain stone surrounds with round heads, keystones and impost blocks.
Below, on each of the 3 walls is an oculus with plain stone surround.
North and south doors have similar surrounds. The nave is of 3 bays and
has tall windows similar to the bell openings. They have a central timber
mullion which branches to form Y-tracery, probably a later alteration. The
transept has a tall single light with round head in its north wall. The
east window has 3 similar lights. Interior has west gallery with panelled
front on 2 slim iron columns. The nave has a ribbed ceiling which conceals
the tipper parts of the roof trusses. The chancel arch is round and
plastered. The baluster font has a painted latin inscription with date,
said to be 1770.


Listing NGR: SD4909345049

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.