History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7084 / 53°42'30"N

Longitude: -2.3259 / 2°19'33"W

OS Eastings: 378583

OS Northings: 423597

OS Grid: SD785235

Mapcode National: GBR DT6K.7D

Mapcode Global: WH97B.71NX

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185665

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Worsley

Built-Up Area: Haslingden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Haslingden St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Stubbins

Listing Text

SD 72 SE HASLINGDEN CHURCH STREET

5/87 Church of St. James
-
GV II

Church, 1780, enlarged and tower added 1827, altered later C19. Watershot
coursed sandstone with rusticated quoins, slate roof. Nave with full-height
aisles, west tower. Embattled tower of 3 unequal stages, each slightly set
back, has small diagonal west buttresses, double-chamfered round-headed west
doorway, round-headed openings with Y-tracery: one window over door, one on
each of 3 exposed sides at 2nd level, and one belfry louvre on each side; 3
clock faces below belfry; pinnacles missing (removed 1951). Seven-bay aisles
(2 easternmost added 1827), 2 storeys, all windows round-headed with imposts
and keystones; small gabled porch to 2nd bay on each side. East end has large
2-centred arched 5-light window with transom and traceried head (1866).
Interior: full-length auditorium, with colonnades of octagonal columns rising
through 3-sided raked gallery with panelled front (of 1878); pointed wagon
roof to nave, flat ceilings to aisles; low double-chamfered tower arch
(surviving from C16 building) 3 large hatchments above; chancel in 2
easternmost bays differentiated only by attached moulded arch carried on slim
roll-moulded piers, carved screen between these, and by decorated ceiling;
carved wooden pulpit raised on unusually high pedestal and approached by
similarly decorated stairs, by George Shaw of Saddleworth and exhibited by him
in Great Exhibition 1851; organ by Willis of London 1878, enlarged and rebuilt
1923; C16 octagonal font with moulded pedestal, and shields in each face
variously bearing arms of donor Elizabeth Holden, initials EH, arms of
Towneley Towneley of Royle, a goat collared and belled (arms of Stansfield
family), a pair of shears, a heart-shaped face with hands and legs (etc.).


Listing NGR: SD7858323597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.