This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.6939 / 53°41'38"N
Longitude: -2.2037 / 2°12'13"W
OS Eastings: 386649
OS Northings: 421962
OS Grid: SD866219
Mapcode National: GBR FT1Q.QK
Mapcode Global: WHB8J.3FX0
Entry Name: Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185616
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13
Electoral Ward/Division: Greensclough
Built-Up Area: Bacup
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Tunstead Holy Trinity with Bacup St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 82 SE BACUP NEW LINE
7/39 Church of St. Saviour
Church, 1864-5, by Edward Wyndham Tarn (Pevsner). Rock-faced sandstone,
steeply-pitched slate roof with bands of green fish-scale slates.
Nave with north and south aisles, chancel with polygonal apse, very
prominent north-east tower with broach spire; in Gothic style, with
mostly plate tracery. Seven-bay nave and aisles; aisles have short
buttresses, 2 windows in each bay as alternating pairs either of 2 cusped
lights with quatrefoils in the head or single cusped lights, clerestory
has coupled segmental pointed lights; at west end of north aisle is gabled
porch with steeply-pitched roof and moulded arch. At east end of south
aisle is a cross-gabled baptistery. West end is buttressed and has at
lower level an arcade of 3+5+3 recessed 2-light windows, round windows
over the outer groups, and in centre a large tripartite west window with
2 orders (with shaft rings) to flanking lancets and a large 3-light centre
which has bar tracery in the head. Buttressed apse with trefoil-pierced
parapet has moulded lancets containing bar tracery with trefoils in the
heads. Three stage tower with polygonal stair turret has recessed 2-light
belfry louvres, a Lombard frieze, and lucarnes to the spire. Interior:
7-bay nave arcade composed of slender polished columns with prominent
moulded caps carrying double-chamfered 2-centred arches; clerestory-level
wall shafts with moulded caps supporting cusped bracing to wagon roof.
West gallery passing through 3rd bay of arcade. Windows of apse linked by
blind arcading containing Commandment Tables etc; similar blind arcading
to side walls of baptistery containing lettered panels: on east side
commemorating John Holt of Stubbylee (q.v.) 1804-36 and other members of
this family, on west side 1914-18 War Memorials. Beneath floor at east
end is font for baptism by immersion.
Listing NGR: SD8664921962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings