History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kirkland Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirkland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8856 / 53°53'8"N

Longitude: -2.7923 / 2°47'32"W

OS Eastings: 348020

OS Northings: 443561

OS Grid: SD480435

Mapcode National: GBR 8RYH.8V

Mapcode Global: WH850.2LMK

Entry Name: Kirkland Hall

Listing Date: 16 December 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361955

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185515

Location: Kirkland, Wyre, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Civil Parish: Kirkland

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Garstang St Helen, Churchtown

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Garstang

Listing Text

KIRKLAND
SD 44 SE
7/121 Kirkland Hall
16.12.1952
- II*
Large house. Main block 1760 attributed to John Carr of York (Colvin).
Rear wings mid C19 with C17 remains and with part of a timber frame
possibly C16. Brick with sandstone dressings and slate roof. South front a
symmetrical composition of 2 storeys with attic and 7 bays, with stone
quoins and cornice. The 3 middle bays project slightly under a pediment.
Windows sashed with glazing bars, except for some to the attic, with
gauged brick arches. Door, flanked by paired Tuscan pilasters, has Tuscan
porch standing on the upper of 4 steps. Within the pediment of the porch
is inscribed: 'AB [Alexander Butler] 1760'. Chimneys behind ridge to each
side of pediment. At the rear of the main block is a wing running
northwards, with another wing at its northern end running east. These have
C19 dressings, but the brick is of a C17 size. The cross windows have
chamfered stone surrounds with hoods, the panes having margin lights. The
wing facing east is of 5 bays, the 2 right-hand bays projecting forwards
under a gable with clock. At the left is the main entrance to the house,
through a door with decorative strap hinges in a surround with hood. The
wing facing south is of 4 bays, the 2 central bays under a gable. Its east
gable wall has a re-tooled sandstone doorway, with a shaped lintel
inscribed 'ABE 1695'. Part of the rear wall of this wing is now missing,
the eaves supported on concrete brick piers. The roof is of C17 type, with
hardwood tie beam trusses with raking queen struts. An adjoining but
separate block, at the outer angle of the junction between the 2 principal
rear wings, has a gable wall facing west which has been rebuilt in
concrete brick. Inside it has the remains of a timber frame, with 3 main
ceiling beams mortised into wall posts, 2 of the posts now truncated. The
1st floor was not accessible at time of survey, but part of a
timber-framed partition wall could be seen. On the ground floor, in the
north wall, is a blocked moulded stone fireplace of c.1600 with shields
carved on the spandrels. The north wall of this range contains a wallplate
with mortises for studs, belonging to an independent frame, presumably in
a parallel range. Built into external walls on this side of the house are
2 plaques: 'TBE 1679' and 'TBE 1668'. Inside, there is an entrance hall at
the rear of the main block, with plaster triglyph frieze and Tuscan
pilasters. The door enters a narrow vestibule screened from the main hall
by 2 Tuscan columns. The dog-leg stair has an open string with 3 turned
balusters to each tread and a ramped and wreathed handrail. The east room
is panelled with a plaster cornice, a carved fireplace surround and timber
overmantel. The room entered from the door in the south front has been
shortened and contains a fireplace with carved surround. The west room
contains a fire surround in a similar style and has a delicate plaster
ceiling whose central motif is a covered cup.


Listing NGR: SD4802043561

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.