This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.699 / 53°41'56"N
Longitude: -2.3438 / 2°20'37"W
OS Eastings: 377397
OS Northings: 422564
OS Grid: SD773225
Mapcode National: GBR DT2N.CQ
Mapcode Global: WH979.Z923
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361962
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185671
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4
Electoral Ward/Division: Helmshore
Built-Up Area: Haslingden
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Haslingden St James
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 72 SE
Church of St. Stephen
Church, 1868, rebuilt on this site 1926-7 (architect then Robert Martin
LRIBA). Rock-faced sandstone, slate roof with 2 bands of fishscale slates.
North-west tower with spire, nave with polygonal chancel, in simple Gothic
style. Three-stage tower incorporating porch has angle buttresses, arched
north doorway with hoodmould and figured stops, 2 triangular trefoils in each
side wall, 2 lancets in each side at the middle level, belfry with 2 cusped
louvres in a panel with Lombard frieze, and a broach spire with lucarnes to
the cardinal faces. West end of nave has short gabled porch with figured
stops to the hoodmould of the arch, buttresses flanking this, windows of 2
cusped lights at each side, and above the porch a 3-light west window with
plate tracery. Buttressed 5-bay nave has 2-light windows with plate tracery,
and polygonal chancel in matching style has gabled vestry and organ house on
north and south sides. Small modern extension at south-west corner of nave.
Interior: nave is single vessel with arch-braced hammerbeam roof supported by
carved stone corbels, all with different foliation; chancel roof supported by
hammerbeam rising from carved angel corbels has one scissor-braced truss.
Brass plate in south side of chancel arch states that church "formerly stood
one and a quarter miles up the valley", and was rebuilt on this site,
consecrated 22 May 1927: plate on facing wall marking corner stone laid by
Earl of Derby March 21 1926. War memorial window on south side of nave
portraying soldier with helmet and rifle loosely held in his hands, a large
angel with arm over his shoulder pointing heavenwards with her other hand, and
Christ the King waiting in the other window: lettering at the head "Well done
thou good and faithful servant Enter thou into the joy of the Lord", and at
the foot commemorating sixteen men of this parish.
Listing NGR: SD7739722564
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings