History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 16 and 18 with Garden Wall to Front and Attached Barn to Right

A Grade II Listed Building in Worsley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7299 / 53°43'47"N

Longitude: -2.324 / 2°19'26"W

OS Eastings: 378720

OS Northings: 425990

OS Grid: SD787259

Mapcode National: GBR DT69.NP

Mapcode Global: WH974.8HKY

Entry Name: Nos 16 and 18 with Garden Wall to Front and Attached Barn to Right

Listing Date: 20 June 1967

Last Amended: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185701

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Worsley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Haslingden St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Listing Text

SD 72 NE HASLINGDEN STONE FOLD

1/123 Nos. 16 and 18 with garden
wall to front and attached barn
to right
(formerly listed as No 16 Stone Fold
20.6.1967 and No 18 Stone Fold and adjoining
GV Barn to N.)
II
Farmhouse, dated 1767 over door, now 2 dwellings. Watershot coursed
sandstone, stone slate roof with one chimney at left gable and 2 on the ridge.
Double-depth 3-bay plan. Three storeys, almost symmetrical; offset slightly
right of centre is doorway with moulded surround and pediment, above which is
a projecting datestone with incised decoration at the top and lettering
"John and
A.Cottam
1767
Go in Peace
and Sin no more";
on each floor over the door is one 2-light window, to the left are 3-light
windows and to the right 2-light windows with wider lights, all these
casements with square wooden mullions, extended sills and heads; at right end
is a doorway with plain surround and at 1st floor above this altered masonry
and a straight head suggest position of former doorway. Moulded gutter
cornice, below the centre of which is a large semi-circular moulded rainwater
head displaying the moulded figure of a bird, probably a curlew, holding a leaf
in its beak. Gable wall of No. 14 (q.v.) breaks forward on the left, and from
this runs the garden wall with rounded coping and central gateway formed with
shouldered slabs. Continuing to right at slightly higher level is unusually
tall barn of watershot coursed sandstone, slate roof with gable copings and
kneelers at right gable; 3 bays with central segmental-headed wagon archway, a
window above this, slit breathers on either side, blocked doorway at left end
and similar doorway at right end altered as window, another window beside
this; right gable has slit breathers, rear has single-storey outshut.


Listing NGR: SD7872025990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.