History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maden Memorial Fountain in Stubbylee Park, C70 Metres South of Stubbylee Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6923 / 53°41'32"N

Longitude: -2.2033 / 2°12'11"W

OS Eastings: 386672

OS Northings: 421780

OS Grid: SD866217

Mapcode National: GBR FT1R.S4

Mapcode Global: WHB8J.4G28

Entry Name: Maden Memorial Fountain in Stubbylee Park, C70 Metres South of Stubbylee Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361976

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185637

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Greensclough

Built-Up Area: Bacup

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Tunstead Holy Trinity with Bacup St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Todmorden

Listing Text

SD 82 SE BACUP STUBBYLEE LANE

7/60 Maden Memorial Fountain
in Stubbylee Park, c. 70 metres
south of Stubbylee Hall
-
GV II

Drinking fountain, dated 1912 on bronze plaque. Granite, with bronze
plaques. Set in centre of paved deck raised on 3 steps. Rectangular
plan, c.3 metres high, in heavy classical style. Plinth incorporating
semi-circular drinking bowls in centre of front and back, these flanked by
pedestals from which rise stumpy engaged Tuscan columns; pedimented
entablature with dentilled cornice. Narrow sides have pedestals with
scrolls on top. Decorations and inscriptions include bronze lion-head
spouts above bowls, a bronze relief portrait of Henry Maden on the north
side, and an inlaid lettered bronze plaque on the west side stating that
the fountain was erected by public subscription as a record of appreciation
of the generosity to the Borough of the Maden family (specifying some
of their gifts), dated September 7th 1912. (Removed from original site in
St. James's Street 1923.)


Listing NGR: SD8667221780

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.