History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary and All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Rossendale, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7316 / 53°43'53"N

Longitude: -2.2829 / 2°16'58"W

OS Eastings: 381434

OS Northings: 426173

OS Grid: SD814261

Mapcode National: GBR DTH9.K1

Mapcode Global: WH974.XG2M

Entry Name: Church of St Mary and All Saints

Listing Date: 30 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361982

English Heritage Legacy ID: 185775

Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, BB4

County: Lancashire

District: Rossendale

Town: Rossendale

Electoral Ward/Division: Goodshaw

Built-Up Area: Rawtenstall

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Goodshaw St Mary and All Saints with St John Crawshawbooth

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Listing Text

SD 82 NW RAWTENSTALL GOODSHAW ROAD
Goodshaw

Church of St. Mary and
2/196 All Saints
-
GV II


Church, 1829, 4th on site since C16; altered internally 1903-4. Sandstone
blocks, low-pitched slate roof. Nave with short extension at west end, in
Early English style. Corners have angle buttresses and are surmounted by
unusual diagonally-set square bellcote turrets with embattled parapets. Five
bays and 2 storeys; gable to road (east end) has large stepped triple lancet
window which is flanked by arched doorways with smaller lancets above them, a
moulded sillband to the main window stepped up round the doors to make a sill
band to the upper windows; sides have 5 unusually large lancets with
hoodmoulds, containing 2-stage windows (presumably lighting ground floor and
galleries). Extension at west end has arched side doorway with band over it
like those at front, and a stepped triple lancet west window. Interior not
inspected, but all fittings and furnishings removed 1903 "nothing remaining
save the walls and the roof" (Reference Alfred Peel Crawshawbooth and
District, n.d., pp.8-14). Commissioners' church.


Listing NGR: SD8143426173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.