History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7739 / 53°46'25"N

Longitude: -2.3881 / 2°23'17"W

OS Eastings: 374517

OS Northings: 430905

OS Grid: SD745309

Mapcode National: GBR CSRS.SX

Mapcode Global: WH96X.9D1Q

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 9 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362001

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183856

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Clayton-le-Moors

Built-Up Area: Clayton-le-Moors

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Find accommodation in
Great Harwood

Listing Text

CLAYTON-LE-MOORS CHURCH STREET
SD 73 SW
2/53 Church of All Saints
-
G.V. II

Church, 1840, by John Harper; enlarged 1882. coursed dressed
sandstone, slate roof. West tower and nave (1840) with chancel, vestry
and organ house (1882). Early English style. Buttressed 7-bay nave has
tall lancets with hoodmoulds linked by an impost band. Three-stage
tower, partly embraced by nave, has angle buttresses (to chamfered corners)
terminating at 2nd stage, a moulded arched doorway with a gablet over it,
a deeply-splayed circular window to 2nd stage; and from roof level a tall
belfry with 3 very tall stepped lancets in each side, and corner pinnacles
which rise from belfry head level passing chamfered corners of the parapet.
Chancel has 3-light east window with multifoil head, flanked by blind
lancets, and some lancets in side walls. Interior: auditorium surrounded
on 3 sides by a gallery (1852), which has traceried panels, with an
unusual ceiling which is flat at the sides and coved in the centre
(spandrels to struts containing tracery); chancel has arch-braced roof,
and elaborate alabaster reredos, pulpit, reading desk and parapet all of
1882. History: built on the initiative of proprietors of Oakenshaw
Printworks, Messrs. Mercer and Fort, the cost (£3000) paid largely by
them and their workpeople. (R. Trappes Lomax History of Clayton-le-Moors
Chetham Society 1926, p.146).


Listing NGR: SD7451730905

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.