History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7901 / 53°47'24"N

Longitude: -2.4054 / 2°24'19"W

OS Eastings: 373387

OS Northings: 432716

OS Grid: SD733327

Mapcode National: GBR CSNM.13

Mapcode Global: WH96Q.0ZVV

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 11 July 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362006

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183878

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB6

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Overton

Built-Up Area: Great Harwood

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Great Harwood St Bartholomew and St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Great Harwood

Listing Text

GREAT HARWOOD PARK LANE
SD 73 SW
2/75 Church of St. Bartholomew
11.7.1966
II*

Church, early C16 with C15 tower and C19 chancel. Coursed rubble
(graduated), stone slate roof. West tower, nave with aisles, chancel.
Embattled Perpendicular tower of 4 short stages has diagonal (west) and
angle (east) buttresses, full-height rectangular stair turret at south
east corner, west window with hoodmould, a niche above this, 2-light
belfry openings with hoodmoulds (clock faces inserted in those on west
and south sides), and various slit-shaped openings. Five-bay nave and
aisles both have stone mullion windows of 3 round-headed lights (north
aisle extended along wall of tower); and low gabled porch to 1st bay of
south aisle. Interior: arcade of octagonal columns with moulded caps
carrying rounded chamfered arches (those adjoining chancel C19); high
tower arch with moulded Perpendicular head, above which is the gable line
of a smaller and steeper roof; ceiling carried on ex situ carved and
cambered beams (nave was ceiled in 1774); 2-centred chancel arch, and
4-light east window in Perpendicular style; font dated 1662, with
letters "IE"; one poppy head bench, probably C16 (now loose).


Listing NGR: SD7338732716

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.