History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7533 / 53°45'11"N

Longitude: -2.3652 / 2°21'54"W

OS Eastings: 376015

OS Northings: 428606

OS Grid: SD760286

Mapcode National: GBR CTX1.Q9

Mapcode Global: WH96X.MXXK

Entry Name: Town Hall

Listing Date: 9 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183799

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnfield

Built-Up Area: Accrington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Accrington St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Listing Text

ACCRINGTON BLACKBURN ROAD
SD 72 NE
7/3 Town Hall
-
GV II*

Town Hall, built as Peel Institution 1857-8, by J. Green and T. Birtwhistle.
Ashlar, hipped slate roof concealed by a parapet. Rectangular plan 7 x 3
bays. Two storeys; plinth, rusticated quoins, channelled rustication to
ground floor, string course, moulded cornice with a parapet interrupted by
balustrades; to centre a prominent porte-cochere with arches to front and
sides (that in front has figured keystone and is flanked by garlands),
bearing a deep hexastyle Corinthian portico (coupled at corners) linked by
a balustrade; behind the portico, coupled Corinthian pilasters flank a
Venetian window. All the windows at ground floor, and the arches of the
porte-cochere, are round-headed and have rusticated surrounds with slightly
pendant keystones; all 1st floor windows are segmental-headed, and those in the
front have sill balustrades and open segmental pediments supported by consoles.
Interior: entrance hall has mosaic floor incorporating Accrington coat of
arms (presumably laid after 1878); imperial staircase with foliated iron
balusters and curtails; and large deeply undercut moulded plaster ceiling
rose. The whole 1st floor is an assembly room with moulded plaster cornice,
ornate ceiling in late C17 style (moulded plaster beams, ceiling rose
surrounded by a wreath, etc.), cornices to windows and open segmental
pediments to doors.


Listing NGR: SD7601528606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.