History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Huncoat Hall and Attached Barn

A Grade II Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7664 / 53°45'58"N

Longitude: -2.3349 / 2°20'5"W

OS Eastings: 378018

OS Northings: 430054

OS Grid: SD780300

Mapcode National: GBR DS4W.9L

Mapcode Global: WH96Y.3LDH

Entry Name: Huncoat Hall and Attached Barn

Listing Date: 22 August 1966

Last Amended: 9 March 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183814

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Electoral Ward/Division: Huncoat

Built-Up Area: Accrington

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Accrington St John

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Accrington

Listing Text

ACCRINGTON KINGSWAY,
SD 73 SE
Huncoat
3/17 Huncoat Hall and attached barn
22.8.1966 (formerly listed as Huncoat Hall)

- II

Late medieval or early C16 hall house, altered in C18 and 1870-71;
now house and barn. Coursed rubble with quoins, slate roof with
3 chimneys. H-plan, two storeys. South side: 2-storey central range
possibly once an open hall, projecting gabled wings at each end (that on
left now a barn) with a 2-storey cross-gabled bay in the left angle and
a lean-to porch in the right angle; surviving features on this side
include a long hoodmould at ground floor of left wing, windows of 3 and 4
round-headed lights with hollow spandrels at ground floor of bay with a
blocked window above, a blocked mezzanine in the centre range, and a
large Tudor-arched doorway to the porch (now part blocked and covered by
outhouse). Right return wall includes 2-storey projection housing a
former garderobe and part of a corbelled 1st floor chimney; rear (now
front) has stair turret in angle with barn, and barn wall, rebuilt,
incorporates at 1st floor a small window with 2 round-headed lights,
and inscribed on sill CT 1873. Interior: (principal features only)
upper end of hall-part has arched opening into ground floor of bay (oriel?),
2 pointed Tudor-arch doorways to wing (said to have been dining hall, now
barn) and another to stair turret, which has part of spiral stone staircase;
crosswing at lower end has 2 similar doorways (blocked); blocked mezzanine
in south wall has splayed reveal and headstone for 3 rounded lights;
1st floor of bay has evidence of similar window, and is said to have been
chapel (late medieval cross formerly on gable of this now loose). There
are very extensive cellars of uncertain purpose under yard and field to
north of house. History: home of recusant Birtwistle family from
C15 to C18.
(Ainsworth: Homesteads pp. 381-5; Altham and Huncoat;
Whitaker: History of Whalley (1876 edn) vol.2 pp.284-5)
Report for RCHM(E)


Listing NGR: SD7801830054

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.