History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bury Farm Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Brindle, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7052 / 53°42'18"N

Longitude: -2.6278 / 2°37'39"W

OS Eastings: 358656

OS Northings: 423376

OS Grid: SD586233

Mapcode National: GBR BT2L.WJ

Mapcode Global: WH975.L4WC

Entry Name: Bury Farm Cottage

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184300

Location: Brindle, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Brindle

Built-Up Area: Bamber Bridge

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Brindle St James

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hoghton

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2016

SD 52 SE
5/49

BRINDLE
SANDY LANE
Bury Farm Cottage

(Formerly listed as Bury Farmhouse)

17.4.67

II
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1699 over door; altered. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof. Three-bay baffle-entry plan plus a former farm building at left end remodelled as extension to house. Two storeys; doorway in line with rebuilt chimney at junction of 1st and 2nd bays has moulded surround, large rectangular lintel undercut to make a depressed pointed arch, a moulded cornice and rising from this a datestone with hollowed surround to a shouldered panel lettered in relief WIEIT 1699; to right, recessed hollow-chamfered mullioned windows of 4 and 3 lights with hoodmoulds, and at 1st floor hollow chamfered flush mullion windows of 3 and 3 lights. To left all openings have been rebuilt or inserted with materials from the former Clayton Hall (Clayton-le-Woods CP), including ovolo-and-fillet mullions: 2 lights at ground floor and 3 above, and in the remodelled part 4 lights below and 3 above. Left gable has re-located window, formerly in gable of house, of 3 stepped round-headed lights with hollow spandrels and stepped hoodmould. Rear has modern flush mullion windows.

Interior: inglenook fireplace with stop-chamfered bressummer, C18 inserted fireplace with stone jambs and corbelled lintel; two 1/4-round moulded beams; exposed timber-framed partition wall.

Listing NGR: SD5865623376

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.