History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn and Shippon on East Side of Road, Opposite Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Anderton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6154 / 53°36'55"N

Longitude: -2.5788 / 2°34'43"W

OS Eastings: 361810

OS Northings: 413366

OS Grid: SD618133

Mapcode National: GBR BVFM.HP

Mapcode Global: WH97L.CD85

Entry Name: Barn and Shippon on East Side of Road, Opposite Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 April 1967

Last Amended: 17 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184260

Location: Anderton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Anderton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Adlington St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Horwich

Listing Text

ANDERTON ROSCOE LOWE BROW
SD 61 SW
14/9
17.4.67 Barn and shippon on east
side of road, opposite
Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse
GV II

Barn, dated 1588 below eaves on north side, altered, with attached shippon
or stable dated 1683 at 1st floor of west side. Squared sandstone with
quoins, slate roofs with some stone slate. Barn is gable to road, shippon
attached at right angles to far end of south side. Six-bay has various
slit breathers at upper level of north side, and in west gable (which has
been rebuilt following collapse); opposed wagon doorways to 3rd bay (from
the west end), that on the south side flanked by later lean-to additions;
to the right of the wagon door to the north side a chamfered Tudor-arched
doorway, now blocked, immediately above the lintel a triple-recessed small
square opening, and under the eaves at the east end a rectangular datestone
lettered in relief ANO. Visible in the south wall to the right of the
DNI
1588
wagon entrance, now in the shippon, is another blocked doorway, with a
humped lintel. Interior: inner side of west jamb of north wagon entrance
has a jambstone crudely incised with a "Celtic head"; at west end 3
original collar trusses with curved windbracing to overlapped purlins.
Attached shippon of 2 bays (the 2nd set back), 1½ storeys, has a doorway to
the 1st bay, at ground floor of 2nd bay an exceptionally large rectangular
lintel (backed internally by a cambered beam) with a small window beneath
it, and above this a square opening to the loft, a datestone to the right
of this lettered in relief F (= Foster, Robert and Margaret). Said to
R M
1683
have been used as workshop by Samuel Oldknow of Roscoe Lowe Farmhouse
(q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD6181013366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.