History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower House Fold Farmhouse with Adjoining Barn at Sd 616 204

A Grade II Listed Building in Heapey, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6789 / 53°40'43"N

Longitude: -2.5813 / 2°34'52"W

OS Eastings: 361697

OS Northings: 420423

OS Grid: SD616204

Mapcode National: GBR BTDW.YZ

Mapcode Global: WH976.BS1L

Entry Name: Lower House Fold Farmhouse with Adjoining Barn at Sd 616 204

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362131

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184362

Location: Heapey, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Heapey

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Heapey St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Heapey

Listing Text

HEAPEY
SD 62 SW
6/109B Lower House Fold Farmhouse with adjoining barn at
with adjoining barn at
SD 616 204
- II

Farmhouse, formerly dated 1692 on worn datestone, altered; with attached
barn containing a cruck truss which is probably medieval. House of coursed
squared sandstone with quoins, slate roof with brick gable chimneys.
Two-bay end-baffle-entry plan with added rear outshut. Two storeys;
doorway at right hand end, with hoodmould over rectangular lintel; above
and to the left a worn datestone (legible when first listed, with date
1692); 2 windows at ground floor, both with hoodmoulds and both formerly of
4 recessed lights with mullions but now 2-light casements; 2 similarly
altered 2-light windows at 1st floor, a round-headed blocked window between
these and an inserted window above the door. Left gable wall has a 2-light
window with chamfered mullion at ground floor, another above with a
hoodmould, and a round-headed blocked attic light also with a hoodmould;
outshut has inter alia a chamfered flush mullion 2-light window at 1st
floor of this side, and a door in the rear. Interior: inglenook fireplace
with chamfered bressummer; 2 stop-chamfered beams supported on the
bressummer. Barn attached at west end, of coursed rubble, undergoing
conversion as dwelling at time of survey (1985) contains a full cruck truss
of large scantling, the steeply-cambered tie-beam and finely-carpentered
arch braces to this forming a continuous rounded arch, with chamfered
soffit: the purpose of this structure is not known, but it bears a crude
resemblance to a truss in the hall of the former Radcliffe Tower,
illustrated in Whitaker's History of Whalley p.291. History: not known,
but perhaps associated with Stanlaw Abbey, which acquired lands in Heapey,
Withnell and Wheelton in early C13, together with millpool and millstream:
item is close to site of mill on Brinscall Brook, and to area known as
Monks Hill, Wheelton CP. See VCH VI pp.47-50.


Listing NGR: SD6160020400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.