History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Higher Whitehalgh Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Tockholes, Blackburn with Darwen

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7118 / 53°42'42"N

Longitude: -2.5279 / 2°31'40"W

OS Eastings: 365255

OS Northings: 424061

OS Grid: SD652240

Mapcode National: GBR BTSJ.J4

Mapcode Global: WH971.4YJV

Entry Name: Higher Whitehalgh Farmhouse

Listing Date: 24 November 1966

Last Amended: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184713

Location: Tockholes, Blackburn with Darwen, BB2

County: Blackburn with Darwen

Civil Parish: Tockholes

Built-Up Area: Blackburn

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Darwen St Cuthbert with Tockholes

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Withnell

Listing Text

SD 62 SE LIVESEY STOCKCLOUGH LANE

SD 652 240

4/40 Higher Whitehalgh Farmhouse
24-11-1966 (Formerly listed as Higher
GV II Whitehalgh)

Farmhouse, dated 1616. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, roof of
graded slate (front) and stone slate (rear) with a chimney on the ridge
and one at the right gable, stone gable copings, Four-bay baffle-entry
plan with projecting porch to 2nd bay and dairy at rear of the same bay.
Two storeys; 2-storey gabled porch with a finial at the apex has a
chamfered doorway offset to the left (and similar inner doorway), a
small blocked opening to the right above, a 2-light 1st floor window
with a hoodmould, and above this a datestone with moulded surround,
lettered in relief 1616 ,right side has blocked window at ground floor,
T . L
G.M.R.S
left side has similar window at 1st floor. Four windows each floor,
all (except altered ground floor window right of porch) with hollow-
chamfered mullions in deeply chamfered surrounds,the lower with hoodmoulds:
left of the porch two 5-light windows with linked hoodmoulds, and two
2-light windows above; right, 5 lights at ground floor, 4 and 5 lights
above. Left return wall has blocked 1st floor doorway, right return
wall has blocked 1st floor window (said to have been used for preaching).
At the rear the principal features of interest are a garderobe chute to
the 4th bay, 3 mullioned windows to the 3rd bay, and an original but
altered 2-bay single storey dairy to the 2nd bay. Interior: back-to-back
fireplaces, that in the housepart with an inglenook bressummer, and beams
in the same room with C16-type large chamfer and tongue stops.


Listing NGR: SD6525524061

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.