This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7032 / 53°42'11"N
Longitude: -2.4623 / 2°27'44"W
OS Eastings: 369576
OS Northings: 423070
OS Grid: SD695230
Mapcode National: GBR CT7M.Q7
Mapcode Global: WH978.45QX
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 27 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184685
Location: Blackburn with Darwen, BB3
County: Blackburn with Darwen
Civil Parish: Darwen
Built-Up Area: Darwen
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Over Darwen St James
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 62 SE DARWEN CHAPELS
4/14 Church of St. James
Church, 1722, restored 1852-3, altered c.1878, altered and enlarged
1937-40 by Sidney Eaton (Pevsner). Ashlar with stone gable copings
and some finials, slate roof with ventilator on the ridge. Simple
rectangular 4-bay plan (with modern chancel, vestry (etc.) added at
right angles at east end). Renaissance style, with some Gothic
details. Low plinth with string course; side walls have Doric
pilasters between the bays and coupled at the corners, simple
entablature with plain frieze and moulded cornice (originally bearing
flaming urn finials over all pilasters, only those at the west end
and east gable now remaining), and in each bay a large round-headed
window with keystone and 3 lights with trefoil-headed tracery.
Entrance (originally in south side, replaced by window) removed c,1878
to centre of west end wall. This has Doric demicolumns flanking the
doorway above which the centre portion of the gable breaks forwards
slightly up to a modern bellcote on the apex, the centre and each side
having large square-headed 5-light windows with trefoil-headed tracery.
The addition at the east end has a hipped roof with a chimney and
semicircular apse with domed copper roof but is otherwise of matching
style and materials. Interior: entirely modernised; one late C18
memorial tablet on north wall. History: built on site of C16 chapel
which had become dilapidated as a result of late C17 dispute over
ownership between Vicar of Blackburn and local Nonconformist congregation
who built Lower Chapel (q.v.) in 1719. Damaged by mining subsidence
1851. (References: W.A. Abram History of Blackburn 1877; J.G. Shaw
Darwen and its People 1889).
Listing NGR: SD6957623070
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings