This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9227 / 53°55'21"N
Longitude: -3.0105 / 3°0'37"W
OS Eastings: 333736
OS Northings: 447872
OS Grid: SD337478
Mapcode National: GBR 7RF2.1K
Mapcode Global: WH84P.QNMM
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 March 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 184753
Location: Fleetwood, Wyre, Lancashire, FY7
Civil Parish: Fleetwood
Built-Up Area: Fleetwood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Fleetwood St Peter and St David
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
5299 LORD STREET
Roman Catholic Church
of St Mary
SD 3347 3/25
Site acquired 1865. Foundation stone laid 17 May 1866. Opened (by Bishop Goss)
24 November 1867. Architect Edward Welby Pugin. Builder T A Drummond of Fleetwood. Cost £4,000. Rock-faced stone. Ashlar dressings. Steep pitched slate roof. Polygonal apse. Aisles with lean-to roofs. Aisle windows have 2 cusped lights and an inscribed cinquefoil executed in bar tracery: hoodmoulds. Clerestory windows are oculi with quatrefoils of bar tracery: hoodmoulds. Apse has 3 grouped lancets with bar tracery and linked hoodmould on each side, at clerestory level. West end has 2 groups of 3 lancets with bar tracery and hood moulds on ground floor. Above it are 2 three-light windows with inscribed cinquefoils in bar tracery: statue of Virgin under aedicule in between. Gable window of 3 lights separated by colonnettes. Very tall lancets to aisles.
Porch with pitched slate roof and coped gable. 3 grouped lancets with bar tracery and hoodmoulds on each side: buttresses: moulded 2-centred arched doorway.
Interior. Nave arcade of 4 bays: chancel of 2: 2-centred arches on cylindrical
piers with simple capitals. Transverse arches to aisles. Steep-pitched wooden
roofs, painted above apse: lean-to aisle roofs. Apse arcade taken internally
on colonnettes with foliage capitals: hoodmoulds. Organ gallery at west end supported on shallow segmental arch taken on paired columns at each end. Finely carved alabaster pulpit (with cast iron rail to stairs), sanctuary rail, and altar. Elaborate Perpendicular reredos with Purbeck colonnettes: very tall steepled and flying buttressed canopy over the tabernacle. Smaller reredoses to side chapels. Good contemporary furniture. Stained glass.
Listing NGR: SD3373647872
Other nearby listed buildings