History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Chapel of St John and Attached Priest's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wyre, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8523 / 53°51'8"N

Longitude: -2.9849 / 2°59'5"W

OS Eastings: 335309

OS Northings: 440017

OS Grid: SD353400

Mapcode National: GBR 7RLW.LS

Mapcode Global: WH853.3FWK

Entry Name: Former Chapel of St John and Attached Priest's House

Listing Date: 16 August 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362189

English Heritage Legacy ID: 184778

Location: Wyre, Lancashire, FY6

County: Lancashire

District: Wyre

Town: Wyre

Electoral Ward/Division: Breck

Built-Up Area: Poulton-le-Fylde

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Poulton-le-Fylde St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Poulton le Fylde

Listing Text

SD 34 SE POULTON-LE-FYLDE BRECK ROAD

Former Chapel of St John
2/1 and attached priest's house

II


Former Roman Catholic chapel and attached priest's house, dated 1813. Brick now
rendered slate roof. A rectangular range under one roof hipped at both ends, the
chapel of 3 bays and one storey occupying the northern two-thirds of the range;
entrance at north end now concealed by unsympathetic brick porch; datestone above
inscribed "I have loved, O Lord, the beauty of thy house, and the place where they Glory dwelleth. AD 1813", flanked by 2 semicircular "eye" windows; 3 tall round-headed windows of 2 lights with wooden Y-tracery in each side wall. Interior now partitioned across the middle. Presbytery 2 storeys, originally of 3 symmetrical bays with sashed windows, now partially concealed by ground floor lean-to across door and right window. Though altered, this building retains the form of a pre-Emancipation chapel.


Listing NGR: SD3530940017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.