This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.8723 / 53°52'20"N
Longitude: -2.3889 / 2°23'20"W
OS Eastings: 374524
OS Northings: 441860
OS Grid: SD745418
Mapcode National: GBR CRRN.LM
Mapcode Global: WH96B.8XNS
Entry Name: The Towns Well
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Last Amended: 30 March 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362199
English Heritage Legacy ID: 182821
Location: Clitheroe, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Clitheroe
Built-Up Area: Clitheroe
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Clitheroe St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
WELLGATE (North-East Side)
The Towns Well
(Formerly listed under LOWERGATE, previously listed under Wellgate)
A square flagged and walled pool. 3 steps down. Together with the wells in Parsons Lane and Well Terrace was the only water supply for the town until 1852.
Dog and Partridge Public House and No 3, The Towns Well and Nos 5 to 9 (odd) form a group No 5 being a building of local interest only.
Listing NGR: SD7452441860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings