History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marys Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.848 / 53°50'52"N

Longitude: -2.4673 / 2°28'2"W

OS Eastings: 369352

OS Northings: 439181

OS Grid: SD693391

Mapcode National: GBR CR6Y.MC

Mapcode Global: WH96H.2JCY

Entry Name: St Marys Hall

Listing Date: 22 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362219

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182921

Location: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Hurst Green St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Hurst Green

Listing Text

SD 63 NE AIGHTON, BAILEY & STONYHURST
CHAIGLEY

8/34 St. Mary's Hall

II


Preparatory school, built as seminary in 1830 and extended in 1880.
Sandstone ashlar with slate roof. 3 storeys with attics. The central
11 bays, their middle 3 bays projecting, form the earliest part of the
building. They have chamfered quoins, sill bands and a hipped roof with
moulded cornice. The windows are sashed with glazing bars and plain
stone surrounds. The door has a plain stone surround with semi-circular
head, attached Tuscan columns, plain frieze and moulded cornice. The
additions of 1880 comprise 7 bays on each side of the central block,
detailed to match the original building. At the rear is a chapel with
semi-circular apse. Inside it has a barrel-vaulted ceiling, Diocletian
windows, paired Corinthian pilasters flanking the apse, and mosaic
decoration.


Listing NGR: SD6935239181

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.