This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.972 / 53°58'19"N
Longitude: -2.5774 / 2°34'38"W
OS Eastings: 362220
OS Northings: 453034
OS Grid: SD622530
Mapcode National: GBR BQFH.SX
Mapcode Global: WH95V.CFWC
Entry Name: Boundary Stone at Sd 622 530
Listing Date: 16 November 1983
Last Amended: 27 October 2008
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1362241
English Heritage Legacy ID: 183051
Location: Over Wyresdale, Lancaster, Lancashire, BB7
District: Ribble Valley
Civil Parish: Bowland Forest High
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Slaidburn St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1392960. This entry was removed from the List on 6th May 2015.
BOWLAND FOREST HIGH
TROUGH OF BOWLAND
BOUNDARY STONE AT SD 622 530
(Formerly listed as: TROUGH OF BOWLAND BOUNDARY STONE, NOW ON BOUNDARY BETWEEN LANCASTER AND RIBBLE VALLEY DISTRICTS AT SD 622 530)
A boundary stone marking the boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire.
PLAN: Triangular in section
EXTERIOR: A boundary stone marking the traditional boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire and now also marking the boundary between the Lancaster and Ribble Valley administrative districts. It is located at the foot of the hillslope adjacent to the south west side of the highest point of the minor road that runs through the Trough of Bowland connecting Lancaster and Clitheroe.
It is made of dressed sandstone and is triangular in section with a sloping top. The top face is inscribed `BOUNDARY / 1897 / OF'. The left hand face is inscribed with two hands, each with a pointing finger, and bears the inscription `YORKSHIRE / TO/ WHITEWELL / 5 ¼ MILES / CLITHEROE / 12 ½ MILES'. The right hand face is also inscribed with two hands, each with a pointing finger, and bears the inscription `LANCASHIRE / TO / LANCASTER / 12 MILES / BAY HORSE / 10 MILES'. There is a small flattened area close to the base of the right hand face of the stone that is inscribed `CASSON / EAST ROAD WORKS / LANCASTER'. This presumably refers to the maker of the stone. The boundary stone is liberally covered in graffiti and close to the base of both the left and right faces of the stone there are small holes indicating the former presence of two brass memorial plaques.
HISTORY: The First Edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1844 and published in 1847 contains the words `The Grey Stone of Trough' and this is thought to relate to a boundary stone positioned at the point where the Lancashire/Yorkshire border crosses the highest point of the minor road running through the Trough of Bowland. The present boundary stone here has the date 1897 carved on it. Brass memorial plaques were recently affixed close to the base of both left and right faces of the stone. These were subsequently removed but their `shadow' and screw holes remain visible.
REASON FOR DESIGNATION:
This boundary stone between Lancashire and Yorkshire is listed for the following principal reasons:
* It is a good example of a boundary stone with clearly legible inscriptions and unusual artistic embellishments depicting hands with pointing fingers giving directions to named places
* This current boundary stone continues a long tradition of marking the county boundary between Lancashire and Yorkshire at this spot
* It is a rare example of a boundary stone that bears the name and address of its maker.
Grid Reference: SD 62220 53034
Other nearby listed buildings