History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Post Office and John Brabin's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chipping, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8847 / 53°53'5"N

Longitude: -2.5748 / 2°34'29"W

OS Eastings: 362314

OS Northings: 443325

OS Grid: SD623433

Mapcode National: GBR BRGJ.C5

Mapcode Global: WH967.FM47

Entry Name: Post Office and John Brabin's House

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Last Amended: 22 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 182965

Location: Chipping, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, PR3

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Chipping

Built-Up Area: Chipping

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Chipping St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Chipping

Listing Text

SD 64 SW CHIPPING TALBOT STREET

4/78 No. 20 (the Post Office) and
29.12.52 No. 22 (John Brabin's House)
[formerly listed as The Post Office
(formerly John Brabin's House)]

GV II*


House and shop, 1668. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. 2 storeys.
No. 20 (to the right) has a sashed window with glazing bars. On the
1st floor is a 4-light mullioned window with inner hollow chamfer and
outer chamfer, with hood. Studded plank door, to the left, has chamfered
surround with triangular head. No. 22 has end stacks, and a studded plank
door to the right with chamfered surround, triangular head and 'IB 1668'
on the lintel. The ground floor has had a continuous drip course cut back.
To the left of the door is a window surround with outer chamfer and inner
hollow chamfer, with a central mullion remaining between 2 sashed windows
with glazing bars. To the left is a C19th plain stone surround to a triple
sash window. To the right on the 1st floor is a 3-light mullioned window
with hood mould, having an outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer. To
the left is a one-light chamfered stair window at an intermediate level.
Stone gutter brackets. The left-hand chimney cap has a moulded coping
and weathered offset. The rear wall has double-chamfered mullioned
windows. Interior said to be modernised, but contains an old stair and
bread oven.


Listing NGR: SD6231443325

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.