History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edisford Hall Farmhouse and 2 Cottages Adjoining to North

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Mitton, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8678 / 53°52'4"N

Longitude: -2.4207 / 2°25'14"W

OS Eastings: 372433

OS Northings: 441369

OS Grid: SD724413

Mapcode National: GBR CRJQ.Q7

Mapcode Global: WH96H.S1HP

Entry Name: Edisford Hall Farmhouse and 2 Cottages Adjoining to North

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362278

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183258

Location: Great Mitton, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Great Mitton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Mitton All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Clitheroe

Listing Text

SD 724 413 GREAT MITTON

SD 74 SW

10/86 Edisford Hall Farmhouse and
2 cottages adjoining to north
16.11.1954
- II

House and 2 cottages, late C18th with C17th remains and late medieval
fragments. Pebbledashed rubble with sandstone dressings and stone slate
roof. Two storeys. The cottages, to the right, are of one bay each and
have plain stone window surrounds with ogee heads. Those on the ground
floor have poppyheads above the ogees. The windows are sashed, with
curved glazing bars beneath the heads. The doors are paired and have
plain stone surrounds. Above is a re-set stone with 3 shields carved in
relief. The upper 2 are inscribed 'W' and 'T'. The lower one has a
flower motif. The farmhouse is of 4 bays. The window to the right of
the door has plain reveals. The one to the left is of 4 lights,
mullioned with outer chamfer and inner hollow chamfer. At the far left
is a window with plain stone surround and square mullions, of 3 lights.
On the 1st floor are similar windows of 3 lights, 2 lights, 3 lights and
2 lights. The door, in the 3rd bay, has a plain stone surround. At
the right of the facade are 2 re-set stones with decorative motifs.
On the 1st floor, to the right of the 2nd bay, are 2 re-set stones carved
with blank tracery in relief, having cinquefoils with panel tracery above.
Under the central arches are the monograms of Christ and the Virgin Mary.
Chimneys to the right of the left-hand bay, between the house and cottages,
and on the gable of the right-hand cottage. At the rear of this latter
cottage is a C17th window surround, now with no mullions and partly blocked.
The interior of the farmhouse was not accessible at time of survey but was
said to retain no features of interest.


Listing NGR: SD7243341369

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.