History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Farm Building 12 Metres North of Bashall Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bashall Eaves, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8768 / 53°52'36"N

Longitude: -2.4412 / 2°26'28"W

OS Eastings: 371090

OS Northings: 442378

OS Grid: SD710423

Mapcode National: GBR CRDM.80

Mapcode Global: WH969.GTRB

Entry Name: Farm Building 12 Metres North of Bashall Hall

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Last Amended: 20 February 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362282

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183180

Location: Bashall Eaves, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Bashall Eaves

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Mitton All Hallows

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Waddington

Listing Text

BASHALL EAVES

SD 74 SW

10/8 Farm building 12 metres
north of Bashall Hall
(formerly listed as
Retainers Quarters)
16.11.1954
GV II*

Farm building, c.1600, probably originally retainers' quarters and
stables. Sandstone rubble, with timber-framed upper storey and
stone slate roof. 2 storeys. The south wall has a jettied timber
gallery on the 1st floor. The ground-floor openings are as follows:
1. A blocked chamfered doorway, now a window. 2. A chamfered doorway.
3. A window with plain reveals. 4. A block chamfered doorway, now a
window. 5. and 6. Windows with plain reveals. The gable walls are of
stone, with later copings and footstones. They have been extended
towards the south. The east gable wall has a blocked 2-light mullioned
window on the ground floor and a mullioned and transomed 1st floor
window of 10 lights (mostly blocked) with outer chamfer and inner
hollow chamfer. The north wall has later openings with plain reveals
on the ground floor and jettied timber framing above. On the 1st floor
are 5 windows with splayed wooden mullions, mostly blocked. Beneath
them is close studding, with diagonal studding to each side of 3 of the
windows. The timber-framed panels, which have wattle-and-daub infill,
are structurally separate from the wall plate and principal posts, the
latter having peg holes which suggest that there may have been
earlier rails. Interior. The south gallery has jowled posts with
cambered timbers tying them to the posts of the inner arcade. The
latter have curved braces to an arcade plate which has holes for the
former wattle infill, the wall now being boarded. The wall has 5
chamfered wooden doorways, 4 with segmental heads and one with an
ogee. The 1st floor is now open for its entire length and has trusses
with arch-braced ties, jowled principal posts and king posts. The trusses
have been partly reconstructed above tie beam level. Wattle holes suggest
that the trusses were originally closed. The wall plates have scarf joints.


Listing NGR: SD7109042378

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.