History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Bolton-by-Bowland, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 53.9402 / 53°56'24"N

Longitude: -2.3267 / 2°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 378649

OS Northings: 449389

OS Grid: SD786493

Mapcode National: GBR DQ6W.29

Mapcode Global: WH965.7797

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 16 November 1954

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362287

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183200

Location: Bolton-by-Bowland, Ribble Valley, Lancashire, BB7

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley

Civil Parish: Bolton-by-Bowland

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Bolton by Bowland St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Bolton by Bowland

Listing Text


Church of St. Peter and
SD 78 49 St. Paul


Church, mid C15th (nave and tower said to be completed 1466 or 7)
with some earlier remains and with early C16th Pudsay chapel.
Restored 1885/6 when the nave roof was renewed to a design by Paley
and Austin. Sandstone rubble, with ashlar tower and Pudsay chapel and
with roofs of stone slate and lead. Comprises a west tower, a nave
and chancel under continuous roof with clearstorey, north and south
aisles, south-east chapel, and south porch. Tower has diagonal
buttresses with ornamented offsets, embattled parapet with corner
pinnacles, and gargoyles. Bell openings in 2 stages. Upper ones
have Tudor-arched heads and hoods with stops. The 2 cusped lights of
each opening are separated by a splayed mullion which projects forward
and continues upwards across the face of the parapet. Above each opening
are decorative motifs including pierced quatrefoils. The lower bell
openings are of 2 cusped lights with panel tracery above, under pointed
heads with hoods having head stops. The west window is of 4 cusped
lights with panel tracery, under a Tudor-arched head with hood and
decorative stops. The door has a pointed Tudor arch with hood and
head stops and with jambs of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. The aisle
and clearstorey windows are of 2 cusped lights with flat heads. The
east window of the north aisle is mullioned with outer deep chamfer,
inner hollow chamfer and with segmental heads to the lights, as
is the window adjoining on the north side. The east window has a
Tudor-arched head and 5 pointed lights. The windows of the Pudsay
chapel have flat heads, pointed heads to the lights, an inner hollow
chamfer and outer casement moulding. The west window of the south
aisle is a chamfered lancet and probably re-used. The priest's
doorway in the south aisle has a pointed head and sunk quadrant
moulding and is probably C13th (Pevsner). The gabled porch has an
inner door with flat head, and jambs of re-used moulded stones.
The inner lintel has unfinished dog-tobth decoration.

Interior has 5-bay arcade with octagonal piers and pointed arches
of 2 chamfered orders. Between the chancel and Pudsay chapel is an
additional moulded segmental arch. The tower arch is pointed and of
2 chamfered orders. In the south wall of the chancel is a
chamfered window surround with segmental head, used as a squint.
The adjoining piscina appears to have a surround of C19th date. In
the north wall is a fragment of an arch with sunk quadrant moulding,
probably a tomb recess. The open timber roof of flat pitch is dated
1886. The studded south door is inscribed '1705'. The altar rails
are reconstructed, but are dated '1704' on one turned newel. The
screen under the tower arch, with raised panels and turned balusters,
is of a similar period. The pews are reconstructed, but are inscribed
with initials and-with '1694' in several places. The pulpit has re-set
C17th panels in a Flemish baroque style. Under the arch between the
Pudsay chapel and the chancel is a remarkable memorial to Sir
Ralph Pudsay (d.1468). It is alimestone slab carved with figures of
Sir Ralph, his 3 wives, and 25 children, together with their names. It
is on an inscribed sandstone base renewed in 1857. In the chancel
is a memorial tablet in the Greek style, to Josias and Richard Dawson
(d. 1806 and 1807), by John Foster of Liverpool. The octagonal
sandstone font, whose inscriptions date it after 1507, is carved
with coats of arms of families associated with the Pudsays, and has
latin inscriptions inlaid in brass. Winder, J.W., Pudsays and
Parsons. Privately published, 1972.

Listing NGR: SD7864949388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.